Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

Drew Wiley

Re: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

Yeah, the stale ole argument that if EW didn't need something precise, why do we? Well, for one thing, he generally only made contact prints. For another, better equipment is more reliable. It always makes sense over the long run to get the best you can afford, or that you really need functionally, in a realistic sense. But that does not necessarily equate directly into a lot more shekels or bars of gold, especially if you happen to be the first kid on the block to acquire something new and untested.

What is ironic, however, is that Freestyle is promoting the camera under question. They're a convenient resource for film and printing paper, developers, etc. I happily spend money with them. But gear wise, camera and darkroom equipment wise, they've always catered to bottom feeders, or more politely, beginners unwilling to spend much. Kinda a marketing mismatch. Suddenly the skateboard shop is selling glitzy Lamborghinis too?

As per Sperdynamite's comments, I can't adjudicate em, but nonetheless remain personally skeptical about the dimensional stability of 3d printed components versus actual machined or diecast parts.

Just watched a talk by author of 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed

Seems we humans have stumbled many times

Perhaps a camera will survive if valued enough

They were chuckling, how weak our infrastructure is compared to Bronze age

Buy that ikon and preserve it in a hole
    Tin Can

A while ago I had the opportunity to play a little bit with a gibellini 8x10 camera which cost around 4000 euro in the Netherlands.
    Then I realised that in the end it really does not matter with what you photograph. It is all about the final image.
    The viewer will not see the difference if the image is taken with a 4000 or 400 euro 8x10 camera. I rather spend the money on film and darkroom paper than overly fancy equipment that does not add anything in my view.

Regards
    André

I heard thru a dealer that one of his customers had some issues w/that 20K cam that took forever to fix..
    Something about a defective part..
    I'm not sure why anyone would want it..
    1 drop or bang..and thats it.
    Partys over..

Drew Wiley

Why spend 20K on an unreliable camera when for the same amount you can buy an unreliable car?

But I did have a pro photo friend (recently passed) who would have went ga-ga over this camera... He loved Italian design, bought Italian sports cars (and put up with their idiosyncratic issues), and thought style was the first requirement... And being unique...

He was not of means, but would have scraped up the dough for this...

It made him happy... RIP Edward... ;-)

Steve K

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Just watched a talk by author of 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed

Seems we humans have stumbled many times

Perhaps a camera will survive if valued enough

They were chuckling, how weak our infrastructure is compared to Bronze age

Buy that ikon and preserve it in a hole
    Virtually none of us have enough land to grow our own food, nor the knowledge necessary to do so. All it would take for civilization to collapse is for our trucking system to fail, given that almost all of our food travels hundreds or thousands of miles to reach us. Our present circumstances are far more precarious than most of us realize.

JUST IN TIME supply chains

idiots

This winter will be Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Virtually none of us have enough land to grow our own food, nor the knowledge necessary to do so. All it would take for civilization to collapse is for our trucking system to fail, given that almost all of our food travels hundreds or thousands of miles to reach us. Our present circumstances are far more precarious than most of us realize.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Bah humbug. Where I grew up we did grow and raise darn near everything we needed. It's was a hour's drive to the nearest sizable market, and that certainly wasn't a supermarket in any current sense.

But this is a camera thread. And a 20K zany Italian camera might indeed make a good hood ornament on a zany paint job Lamborghini. Waste not, recycle everything, whether food or overpriced camera gear.

multiplex

of course its worth it !

Only Og Oggelby would be caught dead some old fashioned gear, a cobbled together 50 or 100 year old camera and vintage lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    that's why we are all going to mars! get with the program Jody_S

To quote William Claude Dunkenfields: "don't be a moon calf, don't be a jabbernow. if 5 will get you 10, 10 will get you 20. ... think of a house in the country upstairs and down, and hot and cold running beer on your grandmothers paisley shawl". its a long and convolutes story but in the end Egbert Sousé and Og strike it rich, the worthless shares of the beefsteak mines are worth MILLIONS!

So get the luxury camera ( as Max Bialystock yelled: When you got it baby, flaunt it! ). cause pretty soon we're all gonna be wearing a cardboard belt..
    Last edited by jnantz; 24-Oct-2021 at 08:02.