Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

I received this email from freestyle that made me wonder, does it make sense to produce new $20K 8x10 cameras at this day and age?

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/39208...Black-Titanium

Is there really such a market?

(no affiliation here)

Re: Does a new luxury 8x10 camera make sense in 2021?

I like the description “luxury 8x10 camera”. I picture it coming with electric windows.

Yes, I grew up in the 80s.

Lachlan 717

Nothing personifies the truth of the “…most important part of a camera is the 304.8mm behind it” than a comparison between this camera and the Intrepid.

Steroidal Leica/wanker value only for Doctors and Lawyers.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

if someone want to make it and someone wants to buy it, who am I to say they shouldn't?

Is luxury anything about making sense?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Is luxury anything about making sense?
    You’re right of course— my question on “making sense” is not generic though— it’s related to “does it make market sense”, meaning, is there a real market that justifies the cost of bringing the design and manufacturing to the market? Are there going to be a sufficient number of customers at this price point for the product being offered?

Maybe with the “film resurgence” and pandemic effects, prices are going up in such a crazy manner that maybe it does?

Drew Wiley

Cost is relative. Somebody might have the right amount of money to spend, but not necessarily the right amount of talent. And as far as we outdoor photographers go, it still tips the weight scale slightly higher than what is feasible today at a sixth the price, even well-done. Still, I applaud any venture this direction. Doubt they have made or ever will make many of these. Maybe the prototype is all that exists. I dunno. But trying to claim the top spot on the pigeon roost might help them market smaller format versions like 4x5.

I have no doubt these will hold up well, along with their $399 apiece filmholders, simply because after spending that much, you simply won't be able to afford film itself or taking the camera anywhere. But people who regard certain categories of fine equipment as "collectible" often aren't concerned about that. They just want the ownership and bragging rights. That's fine too, just not my game. Every real warrior camera wears a few battle scars anyway. I'd be scared to get even a fingerprint on this thing.

It would be fun to see one in person. But looks-wise, for a metal camera, it would be hard to upstage the classic Norma monorail. This Gibellini looks a little too rad, overdone in that respect. Maybe a crocodile skin carry bag should come standard with it. If James Bond shot an 8x10 rather than a pistol, this would be it. Patching bullet holes in the bellows might be an issue. But somebody sure must have gotten a kick out of designing it in the first place. Wonder what kind of car they drive, or motorcycle they ride?

Foamer

Add a red "Leica" dot and they have a winner.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I like the description “luxury 8x10 camera”. I picture it coming with electric windows.

Yes, I grew up in the 80s.
    Well, it has vented grilles at the front and rear rail covers!

The camera that you're talking about is a titanium version of the company's standard 8x10, which Freestyle wants $5,900 for. Depending on features, it might be worth that. The $14,000 surcharge for titanium probably has a pretty limited market