Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens boards for Wista 45D - same as Technica?

Lens boards for Wista 45D - same as Technica?

I see a number of lenses for sale with different lens boards. The Technica lens board looks like the Wista but I'd rather have you confirm/deny this so that when I choose my first lens, I don't have to remove the lens from an incorrect board and buy a Wista one to put it on.

Re: Lens boards for Wista 45D - same as Technica?

From the Wista 45D spec. webpage: "Lens Mount - Linhof-type/ accept WISTA or Linhof boards"

These are the Linhof Technika boards. They are available from many manufacturers. Some fit better than others.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by jrickards615 View Post
    I see a number of lenses for sale with different lens boards. The Technica lens board looks like the Wista but I'd rather have you confirm/deny this so that when I choose my first lens, I don't have to remove the lens from an incorrect board and buy a Wista one to put it on.
    As long as the LInhof board is for the IV, or later, it fits the Wista. If it is from a III it will not fit.

Worth repeating here for Forum members to be on the lookout for Linhof board ripoffs. A few years ago I acquired a lens from a reputable dealer here in the USA that came mounted on a "Linhof" board. This particular lens and board combo never did fit solidly in my 4x5 Chamonix. At a "book readers" distance, the board looked to be an OEM Linhof board, including the logo/crest. Under a simple AGFA 8x loupe, the quality of the logo/crest was not up to Linhof's standards. When I used a digital caliper to measure the thickness of the board and compared it to the thickness of an OEM Linhof lensboard, the board was the slightest bit thinner, which explained why it did not sit solidly in my Chamonix.

I have a lot of lens boards, some I make, some I need custom made

I have at least bakers dozen of LuLand knockoffs

They are excellent, this is not an auction

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...uland&_sacat=0
    Tin Can

Does that Wista model use a centered or offset hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    It is in the same position as Linhof’s boards so when all camera movements are zeroed the lens is centered on the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pere View Post
    You can find both. An offset lenshole on a Wista means it is offcenter of the negative. A centered lensboard makes the lens sit in the center.

With the offset lensboard you get directly a shift down. Can be useful but if you need mostly shift up, then get a centered lensboard. I changed all my lenses to centered lensboards.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    You can find both. An offset lenshole on a Wista means it is offcenter of the negative. A centered lensboard makes the lens sit in the center.

With the offset lensboard you get directly a shift down. Can be useful but if you need mostly shift up, then get a centered lensboard. I changed all my lenses to centered lensboards.
    This is not correct. Unlike other cameras, Wista and Linhof Technika cameras need the offset to center the lens on the negative. Why the offset is needed is apparent from the design of these cameras. Both cameras use three sliding beds on top of each other. Naturally, as the height of the front standard increases, the lens is also shifted upwards. The offset to the bottom lets the lens be centered again.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    This is not correct. Unlike other cameras, Wista and Linhof Technika cameras need the offset to center the lens on the negative. Why the offset is needed is apparent from the design of these cameras. Both cameras use three sliding beds on top of each other. Naturally, as the height of the front standard increases, the lens is also shifted upwards. The offset to the bottom lets the lens be centered again.

Kumar
    Sorry Kumar but I have measured this on my Wista and only with a centered lensboard sits the lens in the middle of the film. I have posted those photo's already here somewhere.
    Expert in non-working solutions.