Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 3005 8x10 streaks on negative

Jobo 3005 8x10 streaks on negative

I have been testing my new Jobo 3005 tank and my first development ended with streaks on the negatives. I have some ideas why but before I test again I want to check with you all to get some tips.

Tank: Jobo 3005
    Film: 5 sheets of 8x10 HP5+
    Developer: 1000ml ADOX XT-3 (XTOL) 1:1 @ 9min
    Rotation: Manual
    Pre-soak: Yes, 1 wash maybe 3-4min. Filled the tank max
    Pour developer: Put the tank in 45 degree angle, and poured slowly (the tank cannot be filled quickly) without rotating the tank during filling. Filling took 15-20s due to me not being used to it. I put it on the manual rotation and started development.
    Rotation: Constant. Switched direction every 1,5-2 rotations.

My previous method was using SP-8x10 tank and never had this problem. With that I had tried both with and without pre-was and never could tell any difference.

Result:
    Clear streaks in sky in top left, but if contrast is manipulated you see them in the rest of the picture too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	streaks negative.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	220128

Name:	streaks negative crop contrast.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	220133

Any ideas or tips?
    Last edited by howlingsun; 5-Oct-2021 at 07:42.

Re: Jobo 3005 8x10 streaks on negative

From Ilford HP5+ 400 developing instruction, “A pre-rinse is not recommended as it can lead to uneven processing”. Pre-wash could be the culprit.

don't switch direction so often. The liquid is unable to fill evenly all the chambers

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    From Ilford HP5+ 400 developing instruction, “A pre-rinse is not recommended as it can lead to uneven processing”. Pre-wash could be the culprit.
    I will try without pre-wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi_r View Post
    don't switch direction so often. The liquid is unable to fill evenly all the chambers
    I can try to keep the same direction rotation for the first minute or so, then change less often.

Try to be as consistent as possible with the rotation; not too fast nor too slow. Another idea might be to spin the tank in a water bath which would provide some bobbing action as well as rotation. I've done this for years with BTZS tubes. If you have a cog lid, it might be a good idea to use a rubber cork to seal the tank.

I cant help but think that its connected to the slow process of pouring in the chemicals without rotation. That would explain the look of the streaks to me. They come from the top and run down, like drops on a window or shower glass wall.

Name:	streaks negative crop contrast.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	220133

One of the five images from the same batch I cannot find any streaks in, perhaps that one was "at 12 a'clock" when I poured in (at 45degree angle).

I have the 3010 (?) version for 4*5; I place the tank on a Simma Roller (or comparable), and add the solution while it is rolling through a funnel with an elastic tubing attached. The tube goes in the "mouth"of the tank. I do pre-wash

Good luck,

Best,

Cor

I do the same as Cor. Have the drum spinning when adding chemicals. I use a non-elastic clear hose that still has the nice curve from being wound on a reel.

Definitely do a water bath before develop with the Expert Drums. I go 5 to 10 minutes. Ilford's recommendations about a pre-developer water bath do not apply to the Expert Drums.

A rotation direction change every minute is fine.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have a 3005 which I formerly used on a JOBO with motor. The motor died and I now rotate it manually.
    prior to using it manually I filled it with water and turned it on my hand rollers. After doing so for about a minute, I measure the quantity of fluid left in the tank. This becomes the quantity of chemical which I use.
    I fill by tilting it which takes about 10 seconds.
    I do not pre-soak any film.
    I rotate slowly for about a minute between reversals.
    No streaks evident.

Did another batch just now. I took care to rotate the tank during filling with a funnel connected to a hose, I also tilted the tank back (had the front of it on the rollers only, the back on the table). It was some gymnastics to get it done, and the filling time felt more like 20-30s now and that made me worried.
    The negs show no streaking so far, but this can be deceiving, so I will wait for them to dry before declaring my victory.