Thread: Custom parts for lens adapters, etc.

hacker extraordinaire

Custom parts for lens adapters, etc.

Over the past few years I have set myself up with the ability to machine small aluminum parts, mostly parts that can be made on a lathe. I can also do anodizing and 3D printing. I attached some pictures of previous work, mostly bicycle parts. I would like to add some camera parts to my "portfolio", strictly for free, so if anyone needs LF-related items made or 3D printed, I would be interested in trying to make the parts or discuss techniques to make them. I have found 3D printing very helpful when dealing with obsolete camera and darkroom parts and the costs are quite cheap now. Laser cutting service is also getting quite economical nowadays and opens up a lot of opportunities that used to be impractical. The picture of the laced hub for example, the round parts were made on a lathe. The sprocket was laser-cut and finished on a lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PXL_20210118_171235525~2.jpg   20210902_172946-COLLAGE.jpg   PXL_20210729_042756967.PORTRAIT~2.jpg   DSC_6255.jpg  
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Re: Custom parts for lens adapters, etc.

once upon a time tool n die men were the n high demand. as machining became automated, those guy were looking for work. now it seems machining is an art and coming back in a new light.

are you offering services for small jobs or custom work? it would be nice to list you as a resource? there are times i wished i could make a certain part that just cant be found anywhere and if i could find it, the cost just isnt worth it.

nice work!

I used to make Dyno to Engine drive shaft adapters that looked exactly like image one

Short drive shaft running up to 8000 rpm, I made very heavy duty safety covers

Made those from 1/2" wall pipe, cut in half then welded to large tabs

Drive shafts did fail, but that red cover just distorted, never let one go

I love making stuff
    Tin Can

I would suggest making flanges like this one, in many sizes. I can share the technical drawing for one I am looking for if you want. send a pm in case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WhatsApp Image 2021-04-01 at 10.16.27.jpg  

I would like to have Rodenstock Imagon aperture discs made and sets I've bought were not always complete.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

hacker extraordinaire

I am definitely looking for opportunities to make things besides bike parts. I can make most threads,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210115_045612581~2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	220126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210725_232358977~2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	220125

and reverse engineer existing threads. There's a few things i can't do (like precision grinding) so it just depends on the part. However I have a good relationship with a laser cutter, so I can usually get parts laser cut for a small fee.

These brakes were prototyped through 3 different versions in plastic, then laser-cut out of aluminum and anodized.

Name:	PXL_20211001_032407668~2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	220124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210927-155803~2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	220123

Everything I make is made BY HAND, that means there's no benefit to making batches for the most part.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I would be interested if you could makes things out of brass - and would be at the other side of the pond ;-)

Just out of interest, which threads can you cut? well I guess most common UNC/UNF since these dies should be ready available in the US,
    but do you also have dies for the old imperial (and continental) threads?

Many of us are interested in having mounting rings made since most dealers seem to separate these from the lenses / cameras when they sell them, and sell the rings apart without providing correct measures, so hardly any of us is able to find matching mounting rings. Also handy is the ability to make little thumbnuts / bots. Just recently had one made when restoring a full plate camera but they didn't have the correct imperial dies for them so the machinist had to cut it 'by hand', and therefore had to make quite a few samples before the thumbnut did fit.

My Flickr

I have made a few one-off parts by hand. Like this lever for the Graflok back of my 4x5 camera.

Will keep you in mind if I need something done on a lathe or 3-d printer as I don't have either of those machines.

Name:	Horseman FA Repair Back Graflok.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	220244

Battery doors for the Super Graphics and Super Spped Graphics. Those are frequently lost. I can supply dimensions if you want them.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Over the past few years I have set myself up with the ability to machine small aluminum parts, mostly parts that can be made on a lathe. I can also do anodizing and 3D printing. I attached some pictures of previous work, mostly bicycle parts. I would like to add some camera parts to my "portfolio", strictly for free, so if anyone needs LF-related items made or 3D printed, I would be interested in trying to make the parts or discuss techniques to make them. I have found 3D printing very helpful when dealing with obsolete camera and darkroom parts and the costs are quite cheap now. Laser cutting service is also getting quite economical nowadays and opens up a lot of opportunities that used to be impractical. The picture of the laced hub for example, the round parts were made on a lathe. The sprocket was laser-cut and finished on a lathe.
    I have a nice (perhaps to easy) challenge for you : ) M42 or Exacta mount part for Carl Zeiss Biotar 75mm f/1.5! Please let know how to contact you. Thank you