Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the fancy name for C-41 and RA4 processed prints.

Drew Wiley

Re: What is the fancy name for C-41 and RA4 processed prints.

There are defined legal rules against MARKETING prints as something they're really not. For example, a mass-produced photolithograph can't legally be sold as a real lithograph. Terminology counts. And even if those kinds of laws haven't reached down to the inkjet level yet, calling those ink productions "pigment prints" per se is inherently deceptive. They're not, can't be, or all the colorants wouldn't even squeeze through those tiny nozzles, if all the colorants were real pigment particles.

If dye destruction printing like Cibachrome were revived, along with R-printing as it once was, I'd hate to see one confused for the other, or sold as if the other. There are real permanence implications. So there are rules to art. Do whatever you want, whatever you like doing - yes - but don't call it what it's not.

Terminology has connotations. For instance, calling something a C-print was once a pejorative. It implies something way cheaper to make and fading way faster than a dye transfer print. But dye transfer is largely (not completely) extinct, and chromogenic prints have dramatically improved, and deservedly shed their old put-down abbreviation, though it still appears on certain product labels. Terminology becomes slang, and slang often becomes stereotypical slander; but we still need terminology.

Old School Wayne

also

Cibachrome= silver-dye bleach print. That's what I always used when I displayed mine

I've always liked RA4= dye coupler print, as Bob mentioned. Maybe I just like the word dye.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    also

Cibachrome= silver-dye bleach print. That's what I always used when I displayed mine

I've always liked RA4= dye coupler print, as Bob mentioned. Maybe I just like the word dye.
    I think I like this name dye coupler print because it helps me understand how the process works a bit and reminds me that these types of prints are dye based.

Old School Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I think I like this name dye coupler print because it helps me understand how the process works a bit and reminds me that these types of prints are dye based.
    I like it because dye-coupler sounds cool.

I've heard people use the term 'optical print' or 'optical chromogenic print' to differentiate between a hand made analog print made at an enlarger and a lightjet or lambda type print, that while still processed with the same chemistry and still having the same material makeup is generated from a digital file...