Thread: Paracord uses

Paracord uses

Sometimes you just need a bit of rope to secure a tripod or gear to a near by tree, especially on a slope or cliff edge. I wrapped one tripod leg in red paracord and it also doubles as slight padding for my shoulder and hands.
    With the bit of cord left over I threaded it to through the top tabs of my pack so I could lash on more gear or stabilize the tripod when mounted to the pack.
    Also makes good woven wrist straps .
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Re: Paracord uses

I've got my tripod legs wrapped with pipe insulation; really saves the hands in extreme temperatures and cushions well too. I do carry a bit of paracord and have a spare set of long boot laces in my photo vest that serve to tie back branches, etc. when I need them. They fit my boots too. Plus, I've got lanyards made out of black boot laces on a bunch of things; meter, viewing filter, loupe, that I can use if I need more. And then there are the laces in my boots...

Doremus

I always try to carry at least a 5-6 foot length of paracord when hiking or trail running, especially if going far. This is one of the reasons:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boot_tied_crop.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	220087

It can also repair a broken strap, secure gear, etc.

I should -- handy for pulling back and securing branches that are 'getting in the way' of the camera's view in the forest. Usually just hand-holding them back is enough, though.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by reddesert View Post
    I always try to carry at least a 5-6 foot length of paracord when hiking or trail running, especially if going far. This is one of the reasons:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boot_tied_crop.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	220087

It can also repair a broken strap, secure gear, etc.
    That's what my roll of duct tape is for. I've hiked out on separated soles held together with duct tape more times than I like.

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    That's what my roll of duct tape is for. I've hiked out on separated soles held together with duct tape more times than I like. Doremus
    Two words for y'all: Norwegian welt. (FWIW, I do keep a playing card's worth of duct tape as part of my "render aid" kit for just that reason.)

At any rate, I'll throw 950 Technora into the mix as a backcountry cordage option--less saggy and more abrasion resistant that 550, and more compact to carry as well.