Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feedback on 8x10 camera from Vist camera in Vilnius?

Wink feedback on 8x10 camera from Vist camera in Vilnius?

Has anyone here purchased or used a 8x10 camera from Vist camera? I would love to get a feedback.

I see it on eBay and it seems there is a facebook page as well:
    https://www.facebook.com/vistkamera

The camera has limited movements (front rise and tilt only) and lacks fine focusing. It also seems awkward to switch from portrait to landscape orientation but at least that option is there. It does seems very compact and well packaged. And the price is very reasonable.

And here is a video on packing and unpacking the camera:

https://fb.watch/8lQMycQb-h/

Drew Wiley

Re: feedback on 8x10 camera from Vist camera in Vilnius?

Novel and clever, but with a few caveats. How is any tilt done front tilt accomplished in vertical usage? And apparently, no rear tilt is possible at all. And with its extremely simplified design, let's hope the knob and pressure plate atop those cabinet-slide-like extenders does the job. It's all push and pull by finger, focus-wise. Seems to be a very low production item from Lithuania for those interested in portability and mainly just horizontal usage at a very comfortable price level.

There is only three thing a camera must do, be light tight, have the ground glass where the film is is and standards move when film is inserted or shutter activated.
    The Bender 8x10" have push pull focus, no problem to grab the rail and push with thumb, is it as easy here?

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Someone will want this.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    There is only three thing a camera must do, be light tight, have the ground glass where the film is is and standards move when film is inserted or shutter activated.
    The Bender 8x10" have push pull focus, no problem to grab the rail and push with thumb, is it as easy here?

I assume you meant that the standards don’t move when film is inserted.
    Besides those critical things you mentioned, I am sure there are specific features that individual owners would consider as nice to have. One for me is portability and ease of carrying and setting up outdoors. I haven’t heard of Benders but I looked it up. Monorails are a bit awkward for me to carry and set up in field. This one from Vist wins in that respect. Also the maker of Vist assured me that the focusing rails are smooth to adjust within 1mm by hand.

Still would love to hear from someone who owns one or have used one.

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    standards don’t move when film is inserted.

‐--

One for me is portability and ease of carrying and setting up outdoors.

‐----

Still would love to hear from someone who owns one or have used one.
    Of course, don't move

The setup and packing was main reason to abolish Bender and go for Wehman, at 4 times the price though.

I suggest getting in contact with the manufacturer to see if he is willing to chare contact with a buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    Of course, don't move

The setup and packing was main reason to abolish Bender and go for Wehman, at 4 times the price though.

I suggest getting in contact with the manufacturer to see if he is willing to chare contact with a buyer.

Thanks for the suggestion on asking for a reference. Will do.

Didn't know about Wehman either! What happened to it? Not available anymore as new?

He (Wehman) died.
    My Wehman 8 by 10 inch camera where made in Rockford, Illnois, by the late mr Bruce Wehman. His website was wehmancamera.com and is avilable via archive.org . I bought an off-center lens board for my wide angle, a lens board adapter for my smaller Linhof Technica lens boards and a reducing back for my 5x7 inch and 4 by 5 inch backs. The camera uses 5 1/4" square lens board equals 133mm and standard film holders for 8x10" and 18x24cm film. The maximum diameter is too small to allow my 138mm diameter 450 f3.6 will not fit, while the 360, 450 and 500 will.

It can be packed with a 240mm Fujinon-A in a shutter or smaller lens on an original lens board put in backwards.

I FRONT MOVEMENTS

The front shift, swing and forward position are controlled by the same nut - this has not made any problem for me so far, as I make sure I have the right focus position before I start using shift and swing.

Front shift is 1.2" or 60mm. -any more needed its achieved by combining front and back swing.

Front Swing - 30°

Front rise is 4.0 inches or 100 mm.

Front fall is 3.0 inches or 75mm, any more rise or fall can be achieved by combining front and back tilt.

The front tilt is not centred, but traditional field camera style, hinged at the bed.

The front tilt backwards and forward is limited by bellows.

The side- and swing movements are only possible after unscrewing the nut a bit more and lift the front 1,5mm, before that, only forward positioning is possible, hindering unintended movements.

BACK MOVEMENTS

Rear swing is 20 degrees, the swing is locked until left focus wheel is loosened, but it stays put while right side is moved via gear with help of right focus wheel, easier done than explained. Wehmans website explains this.

Rear tilt backward is 35 degrees, while

rear tilt forward is limited by bellows.

The shortest lens you can focus on a flat lens board is said to be 2.5" or 63mm. I haven't tested shorter than my 120mm Nikkor Super wide, but the 63mm could be useful for pinhole, or 90mm lens on the 5x7" back.

Due to a little short rise combined with non-changeable bellows, I had my off-centre lens board shift as much as 21mm, or 0,825 inch. The wide angle lens can still be centred, AND, as the lens board can be turned 90,180 or 270 degrees, I have 21mm shift in either direction before I start to move the front. The Wehman lens board according to skgrimes.com is 5 1/4 ” square aircraft plywood with a 4.71 ” square plateau. Lips thickness is .105. Overall thickness .245. Rear circular 3.42″ recessed section.

Re-positional Back - Horizontal and Vertical.

Dimensions: 12"x13"x3.6"

Weight: Standard - 8.7lb., Light Weight - 7.2lb.

The rear tilt has zero detent.

WEIGHT AND MATERIAL

Weight is not measured yet.

Clam shell design with aluminium bottom bed.

The back geared-focus-tooth-wheel pushes standard plastic gear bars which are screwed to the fibre-enforced-epoxy focusing bars. I have not seen any wear, so I do not see any reason to get spares.

The front standard is also fibre-enforced-epoxy, 8mm thickness, rising on aluminium angle bars. To my eye they seem a bit thin, but when locked, they are stiff, the connection between tripod head and leg gives more when I push the front standard.

TRIPOD

I have screwed an Arca Swiss rail to the underside to be able to centre the weight above the tripod; it's fastened in front by a 3/8" nut for extra support. I made the extra hole myself.

BELLOWS

The bellows is high quality, glued fixed and ok in snow and rain. A hook is used to pull the bellows forward for use with wide angles.

BACK

The back has an bail arm, this is a must-have for me. The bail arm push the ground glass on both corners.

The camera original came with glass and plastic ground glass, I have only glass installed and a spare at home I do not bring on short travel. The front bed also serve as a ground glass protector.

PACKING WITH LENS

Wehman Copal #0 lens board can be stored inside the camera backwards with the 240mm Fujinon-A in Copal #0 shutter. I have found no other lens doing that.

SETUP

I find the set up pretty fast. The change between horizontal and vertical is a bit fiddly, as the back must be precisely positioned in order to close. The sliding back locks and other locks are well designed.

LENGTH

For lenses longer than 450mm, I need both beds, else, the front bed can stay at home. Its mounted by pushing and pulling sideways. When front bed is mounted correctly, the front standard slides on to the front bed with a little bit of fiddle.

Maximum bellows is 775mm / 30.5" and can use 700-710mm / 27,5-28" lenses at infinity and beyond.

My 508mm / 20" Ilex f7 need 762mm / 30" draw for half size 1:2.

STABILITY

I push the front and back standards and see them return as they should. Last time I used it, it was the tripod that needed reposition to have the camera stable. I use my Rodenstock 240 and 300mm f5.6 without any problem. The 20" Ilex needs an extra arm to be stable maks distance, or I could use a table

Out of production

Now very rare

Not perfect

nothing

is
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

If that folding rear gg cover / rear stabilization flap had an oval slot in it, plus a turnknob linkage, rear tilts would be possible. Like many things, start with a few innovations, then improve upon them. Somebody might get inspired to kick the can a little further down the road in terms of practical evolution. Whether any patents are in play, I can't say, but probably not in this case.