Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: canyon de chelly

Re: canyon de chelly

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    Thanks - I wouldn't have thought of the green filter! We'll be on the road a long time and was just going to bring my digital camera (space concerns), but now I'm thinking I'll throw in the Mamiya 7.
    My original plan for a hike through Patagonia was bringing my Chamonix f2 but I found it a bit too much, not so much the weight but the time it consumes to make the photo. So I took the Mamiya 7 and this 6x7 format keeps on surprising me of the resolution it offers, seems a whole lot more than 6x6. I now have beautiful 20x24” prints from it on the wall with lots of detail. Probably, the Mamiya lenses add to this joy. I found the 65mm ideal for landscape.

Same here with regards to 6x7 - has "saved" me on many occasions where weight, weather, and/or logistics of LF have simply proved untenable. Also many photo-forays choosing MF over LF for its own strengths. Two Fuji/Voigtlanders in my case - and yes, way better for my particular needs than 6x6 (especially with those 20x24's)...with blads ending up more or less sitting there until I finally sold them. Cannot knock the blads...as they helped me build a business, house, and family way back when - but now with increasing age and decrepitude...

Oh...and how I do remember, also way back when - I was camping in the desert with a group of my students when one of them rocked my world by saying "hey, ya gotta try a green filter with these red rocks!" And me...who thought I knew everything about filters!

I absolutely agree with you John. I used my Rolleiflex, and a handful of different Texas-sized Fuji 6x7,6x8,6x9....& have settled on the Plaubel Makina 670 for kicking around in the mountains. The slim folded size takes up almost no place in my pack and the Nikkor 80 is a superb lens. Especially with Agfa 25 or TMax 100 the resulting prints are very fine. Many fine photographs are the result of being in a place, rather than going there with a LF camera & photography as the purpose of the trip.
    Last edited by Greg Y; 4-Oct-2021 at 13:13.

Drew Wiley

When I have to go light, I really prefer the extended rectangle of 6x9, and get excellent performance with the Fuji RF's. If I need tele, I go to the P67, though that ends up weighing just as much as my 4X5 folder plus goodies. I plan in advance. If I need to home in on distant crags and so forth, roll film backs for the 4x5 and a small selection of lenses do the trick best. If wide-normal shots are acceptable and I need to work fast in potentially bad weather, then the Texas Leica concept is excellent. But I rely mainly on a heavier 4x5, the Norma monorail, for day use. It does it all, and is heavy enough with Ries wooden tripod to give a decent workout.

More than the covid thing, the persistence of severe forest fire smoke these past two years have really intercepted my normal conditioning and planned backpacking, and at a time in life when it's especially important to keep in routine shape. I do get out at least once a week with some kind of pack, involving anything from 8x10 clear down to 6x7. But overall, I've gained some weight and don't walk as many miles as I used to per outing. Maybe age is getting to me - 72 now. But I'm getting good shots anyway.

Monument Valley -- Stay in "The View". Regardless, you will have to pay $20 per day to even access the hotel. Access is not included in hotel price. As of this past Saturday, they were limiting 25 cars in Monument Valley at a time. You will need to line up and be sure to have the day's entrance pass from the entry kiosk with you or you will be turned away. You will fill out a form, get checked in and you have to return the form when you leave the valley -- that's how they control the 25. 7 am to 4:30pm entry, and all cars must be out by 7 pm. The View Hotel's restaurant is closed until further notice - you can go to Bluff (the better restaurant , Twin Rocks, was closed Thursdays and Sundays due to a shortage of staff), Gouldings (small menu for lunch/dinner - just amounts to salads and burgers), or Kayenta. The View provides a sack breakfast and coffee in the gift shop to people staying there. Canyon de Chelly - plenty of good motels. The campground was flooded by rain last week. There were no campers, and tours were nonexistent due to flooding in the canyon (including the mouth which is the entry point right at the campground). When it floods the river is impassible. Watch the police in town - they get lots of revenue from their speed trap. White house overlook and trail is closed permanently -- too may breakins. Watch your valuables in the other overlooks, particularly those with long walks to reach the overlook (Spider Rock, Sliding house, Antelope and Mummy Cave. - there have been breakins to cars there as well (plenty of auto window glass in some areas)).

Canyon De Chelly - most overlooks look east into the canyon and the features are on the east wall (so afternoons)
    Exceptions are in Canyon del Muerto -- Antelop ruin you will look down and to the Southwest. Mornings. Similarly Yucca Cave is almost due west looking down into the canyon so mornings.
    At Antelope Overlook - you will go down the cement path with railings to the end, but then look down west and see the actual overlook that is NOT wheelchair accessible over a marked trail (its rocked in at the edge). So don't be fooled by the railing overlook that is wheelchair accessible -- you cannot see the ruins from there
    Massacre cave is similar -- look for the rock wall at the edge to view the ruins. You will leave the paved path to get there.

Now that I drive a wheelchair this sounds unfortunate. Oh well.

Drew Wiley

As I recall, the White House Ruin is visible from the parking lot railing above, and might be wheelchair accessible. But that was a long time ago, and things might have changed, perhaps in a positive manner in that respect due to ADA requirements. But this is officially a Tribal park, so might differ. Simply call or e-mail to Tribal office in advance and inquire.

Regardless, there are numerous turnouts, each with a wonderful view.

White House overlook is closed -- blocked off at the main road. So not accessible.
    But seriously, there are several overlooks with really great wheelchair accessible cement walks, complete with pipe railing the entire way. Spider Rock is one such overlook. Even Antelop House overlook has a long cement walkway with pipe railing down to the canyon edge (you have great views of the canyon but no antelop house without on-foot mobility. The path beyond the cement walkway is really not passable for wheelchair.

from north to south:
    Canyon de chelly- Spider Rock - nice wheelchair route to viewpoint
    Face Rock - nice wheelchair route (eg ADA)
    Sliding House - rough hiking route to overlook (Not ADA)
    White House overlook - completely closed at main road. Not accessible.
    Junction Overlook - ADA
    Tsegi Overlook - you are there. ADA
    Tunnel Canyon Overlook - you are there, ADA
    Visitor Center - ADA
    Northward into Canyon Del Muerto:
    Antelope House - rough trail to first overlook (NOT ADA), then rougher down to two more overlooks (NOT ADA). Only the southernmost lower overlook gives a good view of Antelope House.
    Mummy Cave overlook - ADA to good overlook.
    Massacre Cave overlook - ADA down to a canyon overview, but rough rock trail(NOT ADA) down to a lower viewing area with a rock wall -- where you can see the cliff dwellings
    --> So there is still plenty to see if you are in a wheel chair!. And I don't have any idea about the in-canyon trips being ADA on the trucks they use. Inquire at the visitor center, and also at the Thunderbird Lodge/trading post.

Also the road from Lukachuki to Shiprock is now paved! I have not taken this road since 1987 and then it was a rough dirt road. At that time I only saw 3 Native American Trucks - all very friendly and each stopped to talk to make sure we were not lost on the primitive dirt road. This October, we took it again. Now its a Navajo raceway in the morning - several hundred trucks passed going about 20-30 mph over the speed limit. Maybe going to a job in Shiprock? None stopped to talk while we were stopped to make images of the stunning aspens that were changing. Times do change!
    Don