Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: canyon de chelly

canyon de chelly

It looks like I'll be at Canyon de Chelly in early November, and am interested in taking a jeep tour of the canyon bottom. There are a number of services that offer this - does anyone have any recommendations?

Re: canyon de chelly

H2, I can't suggest a company..... but I can say from having spent several days in the valley. Bring lots of film & a green filter. Canyon de Chelly is a magical place.

Thanks - I wouldn't have thought of the green filter! We'll be on the road a long time and was just going to bring my digital camera (space concerns), but now I'm thinking I'll throw in the Mamiya 7.

I've never been at Chelley but did stay nearby at Monument Valley 100 miles away for two nights. Both areas are owned by the Navajo Indians and require Indian guides in the backcountry. Google search for them.

Maybe you can make a twofer. Monument Valley has a motel called The View owned by the Navajo. Right in the Valley better than Gouldings. Great rooms and food overlooking the valley where you can tour yourself but require guides for backcountry, not necessary in my opinion. See some of my digital shots on Flickr taken from the motel balcony of my room overlooking the valley and from my drive through the valley in my rental car.
    https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...N05&view_all=1

Note: All those pictures were taken from my hotel room except the one with the guy on a horse. That was taken during the 13-mile self-guided tour of the valley which will give you plenty of shots to keep you happy. There's no charge for the tour if you stay at their motel. I think it's around $20 otherwise. Breakfast is very good there and they had a nice dinner too. No alcoholic beverages on Navajo land including Gouldings. I bought a really nice Navajo-made vase. They have a really nice momento store.

PS the picture with the guy on the horse is something you can do yourself. The guy in the red shirt is an Indian taking a picture of the tourist on the Indian's horse. If I recall, it was only a few bucks to "rent" the horse and get a picture, something I did't do, unfortunately.

Thanks, Alan - good info! I won't be able to fit it this trip, but I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably get to the southwest every year or two, and will fit that in sometime! I'm putting The View in my list of places to stay.

Have a great time in Chelley. Post your pictures here when you get back.

Drew Wiley

Haven't been there for quite awhile. Don't forget to take the rim drive with its overlooks, to see the same things form an entirely different vantage point. It's a stunning place. I sure wouldn't want to be without a serious film camera capable of a degree of real detail. The M7 sounds practical for quickie work.
    There are limited accommodations nearby, but you'd want to check well in advance. The Navajo nation has been hit especially hard by the pandemic, so don't expect things to be normal. The time of year, early Nov, sounds ideal in terms of fall color and crisp lighting.

OK, you all have me pretty excited to go there! We plan (hope) to camp there at Cottonwood Campground. We'll get there early enough to allow the south rim drive in the afternoon/evening, tour of the canyon the next day, north rim drive the morning of the third day before leaving?

I'd love to take my view camera, but there will be two of us traveling and camping in a van, with two bicycles. We're starting in K Falls, OR, will eventually get to Williamsburg, VA, then back by a somewhat southerly route. My marriage is more likely to remain intact if I don't take the 4x5!