Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a 4x5

Building a 4x5

Hello everybody.

I'm starting to design a 4x5 field camera (with strong inspiration from the Intrepid 4x5) using CNC'd wood and aluminum, and before I begin I had a few questions that I can't find the answers for online.

The first relates to the size of the front standard. Is there any benefit to having a larger or smaller front standard (in the range of a 6-8+" square).

The reason I'd like to get some insights on this is because I'm going to be assembling the bellows first and building everything else around that because the bellows are the only "unknown" to me in terms of the collapsed height when the camera will be folded for travel.

Re: Building a 4x5

A larger lensboard size would allow use of larger (longer and/or faster) lenses. Vintage 12" (~300mm) f4.5 lenses can get big & heavy...like a Gundlach Radar, or a Wollensak Velostigmat.
    It would be wise to determine your image goals before planning your hardware goals to avoid under- or over-building your camera.

I see. The longest lens I own (and will probably ever use) is a 210mm fujinon. This build will be predominantly for landscapes as I have a beautiful (but heavy) Cambo that works extremely well for portraits.

With that in mind I'll build the front standard and lens board to comfortably fit my 210mm

Some fast wide-angle lenses have large-diameter lens elements, as well, so don't overlook that possibility.

I'll try and accommodate for that. Do you think that a 3 3/4" lens board would provide enough room? I'll use that as a starting point because it's similar to what the intrepid uses

Building a 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by adamlikesbikes View Post
    I'll try and accommodate for that. Do you think that a 3 3/4" lens board would provide enough room? I'll use that as a starting point because it's similar to what the intrepid uses
    I would suggest you aim for compatibility. On the smaller end, the most common size is perhaps the linhof type at 99x96mm. Medium size would likely be a Sinar type at 140mm square. But if you aim for compactness then the smaller type should be fine for most lenses. That’s also what Intrepid, Chamonix, and many others use in their 4x5. Please do not make a new size!

Why not choose an existing small lensboard standard (Arca, Toyo field, Linhof)? Why reinvent something that is readily and inexpensively available?

I suppose I could use an existing standard. The only case against it was that I'd need to source the specs but I'll look into it

For decades years a 4" square wooden, metal, or plastic lens board was very common. They are easy to fabricate from 1/4 inch plywood on a table saw and less easy with a jig saw. I can post dimensions if anyone is interested. For more ideas see https://jongrepstad.com/building-a-l...mera-builders/

A large front standard gives more options in lenses. But at the same time it will make it harder to get large movements with the type of camera you want to make.
    Expert in non-working solutions.