Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So stores/ebay sell 4x5 GG protectors but not 8x10?

So stores/ebay sell 4x5 GG protectors but not 8x10?

On the "Lounge" sub-forum, I posted about this guy who didn't know what he was doing --me! it was me!!-- and how he broke his ground glass. I thought, someone must've made one of these, if not a 3d print job but ebay and stores don't seem to have an 8x10 GG protector.

What's your McGuyver on making one for transport?
    --

Re: So stores/ebay sell 4x5 GG protectors but not 8x10?

Well, how about that, I just did a quick search and I didn't see this before, but CatLabs has one. $70 bucks for a clear acrylic one with a bendy loop on top, kinda like a giant money clip.
    --

Badger Graphic offers plexiglas GG protectors in several sizes, including 8x10 for $49.99.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Badger Graphic offers plexiglas GG protectors in several sizes, including 8x10 for $49.99.
    Oh, I haven't been to that website in years! I'll check it out!
    --

Drew Wiley

Make my own with about 50 cents worth of scrap plastic, preferably polycarbonate, but acrylic is OK too. Takes all of about ten minutes to make one. A plastics shop could cut you a piece to size for a few dollars, if you don't have the ability yourself.
    A ski file or a sheet of sandpaper will quickly relieve any sharp edges.

How these are attached to the back depends on the specific camera. Simple velcro buttons work in some instances, attached to the GG perimeter frame. With the Sinar monorail, the sliding clip on the back does the job with complete reliability, and retains the flat shield at a comfortable small distance from the glass itself. (You need to take into account any potential bowing inward of the plastic cover itself).

In once instance I wanted to go cute instead, for sake of my 8x10 folder and battle-scarred Ries wooden tripod, and used undrilled copper clad PC board, then swirly toned it using vinegar followed by ammonia. The old fashioned way would be to bury it in wet used cat litter, and let the urine do the job. But I wanted more of a tie dyed look without the same amount of stink, in order to get true Verdi gris upon copper color. Then I sealed it off from further shift with an appropriate clear Krylon spray varnish. Velro buttons have proven completely reliable in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    In once instance I wanted to go cute instead, for sake of my 8x10 folder and battle-scarred Ries wooden tripod, and used undrilled copper clad PC board, then swirly toned it using vinegar followed by ammonia. The old fashioned way would be to bury it in wet used cat litter, and let the urine do the job. But I wanted more of a tie dyed look without the same amount of stink, in order to get true Verdi gris upon copper color. Then I sealed it off from further shift with an appropriate clear Krylon spray varnish. Velro buttons have proven completely reliable in that case.
    We need a photo of this man! And a photo of the cat!
    --

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I broke a GG about 27 years ago. Since then I keep thinking of a GG protector. But I’ve been so careful ever since and I’ve never really needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I broke a GG about 27 years ago. Since then I keep thinking of a GG protector. But I’ve been so careful ever since and I’ve never really needed it.
    Some guy ran over my bike in the garage. Good thing I got that idiot's licence plate. That plate was oddly just like mine.
    --

Drew Wiley

You should have taken that plate for a ground glass cover. That would be novel.

Mat board and fome cor board work well. Join with gaffers tape at the top and you have one that works.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.