Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Getting the correct lens settings for a synced strobe?

Re: Getting the correct lens settings for a synced strobe?

One of the reasons I got hired is my ability to put together lighting patterns to make beautiful photographs of people. I would do, sometimes rather quickly, a facial analysis to determine the best view of the face to photograph. Lighting is one of the three important/essential ingredients for successful people photography. It's utilizing lighting for sculpting the face. It is a way to elevate photography as an art.

The portrait of me I’m using as my avatar here was made by my coach and mentor on the beach in Sarasota Florida, truth be known, a long time ago.

A side note, I used pocket wizards for flash photography.

I suggest taking a class on photography lighting for people, if you’re interested in learning how to make beautiful portraits.
    Last edited by wclark5179; 28-Jan-2022 at 10:51.

Lighting is one of the fundamental/foundational aspects of image making be it still photos, cinema, video. Seems for some still image photographers the importance/significance of light and lighting is not always considered while the cinema folks take lighting as one of their prime priorities..

Previously posted else where:

The cinema folks understand this better than still image photographers overall,
    ~Hard -vs- soft lighting.
    ~High key -vs- low key.
    ~Three point lighting (basic).
    ~Color.
    ~Naturalistic -vs- Expressionist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAglas428D8&t=173s

Another video on three point lighting due to how fundamental this lighting concept is.
    ~Key.
    ~Fill.
    ~Hair/back light.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Sov3xmgwg

Five key lighting concepts.
    ~Size = Softness, hard -vs- soft light.
    ~ Angle = Texture, with hard or soft light light angle has an effect on texture rendering within in the image.
    ~Contrast ratio.
    ~Color.
    ~Inverse square law or double the distance from the light source, light reduction goes up by the square.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKQT58r_hPE

Lighting is often more significant in creative/expressive image making than camera/lens and related gear..
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Lighting is often more significant in creative/expressive image making than camera/lens and related gear..
    Bernice
    I could not agree more.

Even when you think you can't control the light -- as in landscapes, architecture, etc. -- lots of times you can return when the light is different/better.

"Lighting is often more significant in creative/expressive image making than camera/lens and related gear."

Yes, you are correct.

But also posing and composition are two
    more pillars out of three
    needed to make flattering portraits of people.

Add capturing a "stolen moment" of the portrait sitter's emotional expression.

~Difference between a good portrait and a portrait that connects with the observer that endures the passage of time.

IMO, portraiture is not just about the technicalities alone, there is an extremely emotional and humanity aspect of creating portraiture that has the ability to result in a "timeless" expressive image.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    "Lighting is often more significant in creative/expressive image making than camera/lens and related gear."

Yes, you are correct.

But also posing and composition are two
    more pillars out of three
    needed to make flattering portraits of people.

So true.

Thanks for mentioning the rapport that's needed between subject and photographer. I found this enjoyable and fun and people could tell it.

I don't know that a portrait necessarily has to be flattering, unless the subject is your client.

Could be, but I finally got all of the ingredients correctly put together when my wife started liking the portraits I made of her!

Most people I met wanted a portrait made that makes them look beautiful. I wasn't a Karsh type of photographer who made one of the famous portraits of Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by wclark5179 View Post
    Could be, but I finally got all of the ingredients correctly put together when my wife started liking the portraits I made of her!

Most peopke I met wanted a portrait made that makes them look beautiful. I wasn't a Karsh type of photographer who made one of the famous portraits of Churchill.
    My favorite Karsh was of cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, who's eyes looked they were looking up to the speed of space... :-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I just did a quick check on EBAY. There are currently about 600 flash meters -- starting at $7. Sure, the $7 one is not fancy, but it's a LOT cheaper than buying a digital camera -- just to use as a flash meter -- that connects to electronic flash units AND has manual f-stops to f45. Just sayin'.
    $7 buy it now or $7 current bid? and i assume that includes free international shipping and no import charges or anything else that might push the actual cost above the $7 you're claiming, riiiiiight?