Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dirty film / filtering liquids

Re: dirty film / filtering liquids

I use a plain white coffee filer in a funnel when I choose to filter.

You might also keep the film holders in a ziplock antistatic bag or at least ziplock bag when not in the camera or darkroom to maintain them dust free. I do that and don't have to clean them before putting them in the camera.

I have a well too, and use distilled water to make chemistry concentrates (such as developer) or re-usable chemistry. (such as fixer). I don't know what minerals are in it but it works fine for diluting developer, stop, rinsing, etc...

I've also found that my stereo equipment sounds better with $1500.00 gold-plated liquid nitrogen-encased cables between my receiver and speakers... defintely made my Air Supply albums sound better.

Sometimes it's from the plumbing or water mains... Even with water filters, plumbing or water supplies can have high minerals, or pipes can be corroded and release particles... (Now with the drought in the SW, the water is terrible...) A dual filter helps, but the tap and plumbing downstream from filters can be corroded...

Look at the pipes in your darkroom and note the age and if they are made of the same metals... If not, there can be an electrolysis issue where dissimilar metals in plumbing cause a weak electrical potential (like a battery) that speeds up corrosion in pipes causing releases of particles...

In certain areas, the water mains are old and release particles... And if construction or repair of the mains is happening, much gets into pipes... (When doing construction in my area, one film run was covered with particles of sand... I replaced the water filters, but within a week I checked the filters again and found a handful of sand in it again...) Also, local disturbances like floods, fires etc can let particulates into water supply (last year's local fires caused ash to enter water supply, and when washing a white bowl or cup, I seen the water was grayish...)

Try to take a wide view of other possibilities in the entire process (including housekeeping/drying etc) to eliminate other possibilities... You might get an exam from a plumber if water supply is suspected...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    I've also found that my stereo equipment sounds better with $1500.00 gold-plated liquid nitrogen-encased cables between my receiver and speakers... defintely made my Air Supply albums sound better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try mixing your chems with gallon/bottled water and you’ll know if it’s a mineral deposit issue. Some Foto Flow might help along the way.