Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dirty film / filtering liquids

dirty film / filtering liquids

Hello.
    I had real issues with dirty 4x5 film negatives.
    I'm talking about just checking developed film by scanning it (not making prints in the darkroom, yet.)
    The first thing I did was to scrupulously control the putting in of the film into the film holder in the darkroom by spraying everything possible with compressed air, also spraying the film holder before and after putting the holder into the camera. And also spraying the holder before taking the film out. I run a hot tap in the bathroom (darkroom) to create steam to gather dust before starting developing.

Then I filtered my stock solution and fixer with cotton wool and used distilled water for the stop bath and the fixer.
    Then I installed a water filter (I have my own well) with a 10 micron nylon coiled type filter for particle filtration.
    And I started using Ilfotol wetting agent.

The negatives are now 90% cleaner but they still have white spots on them when I take them out of the fixer.

I have just mixed a new batch of ID11 developer with distilled water and I was wondering if this will solve the white specks problem?
    I was also thinking of filtering this developer with cotton wool before use, but will this ruin it's developing properties?

A while back I ran a test on my tap water which showed that I have too much manganese and iron, Could these be the white specks on the negative? In which case, a second filter for iron and manganese would help?
    Thanks,
    Mark

Re: dirty film / filtering liquids

Check the fixer. If it is slightly cloudy it is "sulfuring out" and precipitating millions of tiny white specks of elemental sulfur. And these specks, being insoluble in water, don't wash off easily.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Aha, thanks.
    Can I filter the developer and the fixer with cotton wool? Does this not reduce their developing and fixing properties?

I filter my chems through unbleached (tan ones not white)coffee filters.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I filter my chems through unbleached (tan ones not white)coffee filters.
    When I feel the need to filter a solution, I, too use coffee filters, but the white (bleached) ones. My logic is whatever might be left after the bleaching process is probably more benign than whatever is in the tan filters than needs to be bleached out. If I remember correctly from HS chemistry lab, all the filters were white there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    When I feel the need to filter a solution, I, too use coffee filters, but the white (bleached) ones. My logic is whatever might be left after the bleaching process is probably more benign than whatever is in the tan filters than needs to be bleached out. If I remember correctly from HS chemistry lab, all the filters were white there.
    I use unbleached because my Mrs. buys them for making coffee, I don't use many so I just grab what's in the kitchen.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

So , filtering the developer doesn't make it work less well?
    Nor fixer?

It shouldn't.
    The filter just removes solid particles.
    Does it make coffee less strong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    It shouldn't.
    The filter just removes solid particles.
    Does it make coffee less strong?
    Don’t open the coffee door… :-)

https://bluetokaicoffee.com/blogs/bl...of-your-coffee

/s

I bought some lab filter paper circles on Ebay and they fit my bigger plastic funnels.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain