Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: an idiot question but need help!

an idiot question but need help!

If I developed completely unexposed sheet film, would there be the markings of the film on the sheet e.g. the 'HP5 400' that appears at the borders?

Just spent a long time developing 4 sheets and the results were completely blank, with no edge markings...

I'm pretty sure my technique was fine as have had no issues before - only thing I can think of is if I mistakenly picked up unexposed film from the holders with film instead of holders with exposed film.

Drew Wiley

Re: an idiot question but need help!

Not all sheet films are the same in this respect. But no exposure at all, then no markings regardless. That kind of thing is not printed onto the film, using ink or anything like that, so itself requires development to show, if there at all.

The markings are printed with light, so a working developer would develop them...

Developer sounds dead... Take a piece of fogged undeveloped film and insert it into developer... Agitate it a little, and should fog to dark grey/black in about 3-4 minutes if developer is good...

Steve K

hmm ok...so even if i did develop an unexposed sheet, the hp5 markings for example, would still appear? I must have mucked up development somehow. the developer was d76 only mixed a few days before

I can't speak to HP5, but Ilford FP4+ (at the least the version I have) does not have any rebate markings when properly developed. Again, I would intuitively guess that that is true for all Ilford films, but as I mentioned, I don't shoot HP5 so can't specifically tell you.

EDIT: Put differently, if you developed an unexposed sheet of HP5 and my theory is correct that my experience can be generalized to all Ilford films, you should not conclude you have bad developer on hand.
    Last edited by MarsZhukov; 21-Sep-2021 at 13:00. Reason: Hopefully, a clarification/amplication

Eff this. I'll keep my thoughts to myself.
    Last edited by paulbarden; 22-Sep-2021 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Ilford sheet film doesn't have rebate markings. There would be no identifying letting on the sheets whether the developer worked, or not.
    A much more sensible and concise expression of my thoughts.

Drew Wiley

"Rebate"???? - Are you British, Paul? Here a rebate is money you get back from a purchase. If it's a ledge inside a picture frame, we call it a "rabbet", which of course you might confuse with a hare. Here barbers deal with excess hares. Why can't the English learn proper English to begin with?

My only slightly expired hp5+ does not have markings on the film edges. you need to expose it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    wtf???
    What is wrong with you? Why are you attacking me over this??? Who shat in your cornflakes?
    don't waste your time on that troll, just add him to your ignore list.