Thread: Makrolon® LD polycarbonate sheet for electronic signs using LED lighting

Makrolon® LD polycarbonate sheet for electronic signs using LED lighting

I got a free oversize 4X8 ft sheet of this in 2014, they shipped me a BIG sample

I use it for enlarger diffusion, as it stops pinpoints

Thank you Makrolon!

https://www.ledsmagazine.com/company...g-led-lighting
    Tin Can

Re: Makrolon® LD polycarbonate sheet for electronic signs using LED lighting

Curious: I see it comes in many formats. What is the thickness of your sheet?
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

About 1/8"

It is very tough stuff and moldable in the manner of Shell Gasoline signs

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Curious: I see it comes in many formats. What is the thickness of your sheet?
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Interesting.

That’s the stuff, not necessarily the brand, that Rimowa uses to make their polycarbonate luggage. They mold it in large IR heat presses.
    Someplace I have a picture of one of their red suitcases that they shot with a 12 gauge shotgun from close range. Left lots of dimples but no penetration! Tough stuff,

Drew Wiley

Polycarbonate is quite a bit stronger per thickness than acrylic. But one of its disadvantages is a lower level of light transmission when that is needed, generically-speaking, around 85% versus 95% for clear. Moulded plastic skylights additionally need UV-blockers if they're going to last. Below a colohead, that might be a long-term issue too. In this case, the polycarbonate sheeting involved is not the kind used for making luggage. It's for transparent signage backing, and alleges better diffusion of light with less lumen loss.

I happen to use in conjunction with my enlarger mirror boxes a special kind of diffuser which is almost totally clear, but moulded (actually extruded) to create quite broad diffusion according to the degree of specification. It is slightly yellowish, at the time available only in relatively small sizes, and would be prohibitively expensive for signage use anyway. Supplemental to this, I also keep on hand 1/16 inch thick "Sign White" acrylic, which is more translucent that regular white Plexi. It would be interesting to see how this new product compares. But inside of an enlarger, shatter-resistance is a non-issue. If any earthquake is severe enough take down one of my throughly bolted enlargers, at least a million people in this area, including myself, will have a lot more to worry about than a broken machine.