Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do I recognize lenses that will cover an 8X10 plate with no vignetting

Re: How do I recognize lenses that will cover an 8X10 plate with no vignetting

I have a 360 mm, which is standard for 8X10. I would like a nice wide angle. I am thinking something under 200 mm. Not many choices that I can find with the right coverage for 8X10.

I am thinking mostly outdoor scenic views. Ansel Adams type of subject matter. I think I will use mostly the standard (360mm) and wide angle. So I am searching for a good wide angle for 8X10. Why 8X10. I already have experience and equipment for medium format (6X7 cm). I wanted to jump a little larger than 4X5. I suppose 5X7 would be a good compromise. I don't mind lugging around bulky equipment. I appreciate your response. Good input. I like a good sharp enlargement, but I think most of my negatives would be scanned.

120/8 Nikon will do it with mm to spare, i.e., no movements.

So will the 120/14 Berthiot Perigraphe VIa. Look for them on leboncoin.fr and ebay.fr. These lenses are in barrel, can be stuffed into the front of an Ilex #3 shutter. Uncommon but they show up from time to time.

120/8 Fujis won't quite do for you.

120/8 SA won't do, 165/8 will and with movements. So will 150/5.6 SS XL.

115/6.8 Grandagon won't quite make it, 155/6.8 will.

I got to play with a 165mm Super Angulon once.
    IIRC, it weighed as much as my first automobile LOL!
    A Wollensak 159mm EWA will cover 8x10 with little or no wiggle room.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

5x7 sheet film format can offer the largest variety of lenses made. Many 4x5 lenses will properly cover 5x7 that cannot cover 8x10. Beyond this, 5x7 camera size is smaller, lighter and often easier to obtain than 8x10 and larger sheet film format.

If projection enlargements are considered, a GOOD 5x7 enlarger like Durst 138 is very manageable while a GOOD 8x10 enlarger like a Durst 184 is no longer a small dark room enlarger.

Debate and discussion has been made many times over film availability for 5x7 _ 13x18cm sheet film format. This is not a big an issues as it has been made out to be as once a given film emulsion has been settled on with enough print making mastery, keeping a stock of 5x7 _ 13x18cm sheet film in cool storage often resolves this question easily.

It can also appear 5x7 is not much larger than 4x5 limiting the image quality to lesser than 8x10. This is not always true as each film format size are a set of trade-offs dependent on image making needs.

Once lenses have been decided upon based on image goals, the camera choice can be made knowing what that camera must do to accommodate the lenses to be used and where-how the lens/camera/camera support and all related will be used.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by carterwj View Post
    I am thinking mostly outdoor scenic views. Ansel Adams type of subject matter. I think I will use mostly the standard (360mm) and wide angle. So I am searching for a good wide angle for 8X10. Why 8X10. I already have experience and equipment for medium format (6X7 cm). I wanted to jump a little larger than 4X5. I suppose 5X7 would be a good compromise. I don't mind lugging around bulky equipment. I appreciate your response. Good input. I like a good sharp enlargement, but I think most of my negatives would be scanned.

Maybe it's a bit obvious, but I haven't seen it come up in this thread yet. As a reasonable way to recognize older wide angle lenses, I often look at the shape. If the lens is flat and wide, there is a good chance that it has a large image circle. Is the lens narrower and tall? there is a good chance that the angle of view is quite small. In this way you can quickly estimate whether you should do more research into the image circle or whether you should look further.
    Example:

Quote Originally Posted by carterwj View Post
    Carter, The difference from 6x7 MF to even 4x5 is substantial. If you intend to contact print then the sky is the limit and 8"x10" is a great place to start. 5x7" is a fantastic place to land in terms of lenses, as Bernice suggested. If you intend to enlarge, then 8x10 enlargers are costly and harder to find than those for 4x5" and much larger. I'll allow my biases to show here and say, if you're going to scan ....then what's the point? Even for those who've used 4x5".... 8x10" is a jump.... DOF is shallower. Everything is much larger to handle. Film flatness can also be more of an issue. For landscapes, a modest long focus or telephoto lens is very useful. Since you mention Ansel Adams, if you go to the Tetons or Yosemite, some very appealing views of the Tetons or Half Dome aren't readily photographed with a 360mm on 8x10...but a 450mm on 4x5! Coming from MF....to using an 8x10 is a quantum leap. It's also worth considering that a lot of Ansel Adams later work was done with a Hasselblad.
    Last edited by Greg Y; 25-Sep-2021 at 17:15.

If wanting to venturing into 8x10 as the first time into view camera image making, starting out with a 8x10 sheet film camera is not a good idea as the learning curve with smaller sheet film like 4x5 is already WAY steep. Expect to waste many sheets of film before gaining some traction on learning curve.

Using a view camera is not a lot like using a 6x7 or any roll film camera.

Highly recommended to begin the view camera sheet film or similar Fotographic emulsion based journey with 4x5, then moving on to other sizes once the basic skills have been gained, refined and well learned.

This video, while humorous and fun in many ways illustrates nicely some fraction of what often goes so side-ways with using and making view camera images.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZAqD9bAzYc&t=75s

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    If wanting to venturing into 8x10 as the first time into view camera image making, starting out with a 8x10 sheet film camera is not a good idea as the learning curve with smaller sheet film like 4x5 is already WAY steep. Expect to waste many sheets of film before gaining some traction on learning curve.
    I definitely second this. I have shot 4x5 for ~3 years, and am pretty comfortable with it. I’ve just started in 8x10, and even just that jump is difficult. (It works the same but the larger scale has costs and additional effort, and some things are just plain harder.) My only reason for shooting 8x10 is for contact prints with alt processes. I get everything else I need with 4x5, plus I can fit a 4x5 enlarger in my dark room. An 8x10 enlarger would require a bulldozer and construction crew.

Thank you. I see your point. Perhaps it is better to start with a 4X5, but if I am going invest in lenses I would like to seek lenses that will cover the 8X10 format. Yes, a 360 mm lens is standard for the 8X10, but would be a telephoto for the 4X5. It is quite a bit to consider.