Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How do I recognize lenses that will cover an 8X10 plate with no vignetting

Re: How do I recognize lenses that will cover an 8X10 plate with no vignetting

Schneider 165mm f8 Super Angulon was introduced to the market circa 60's then remained in production until well into the 90's.
    First offerings were single coated, in Compur shuttern and similar. Much later versions were muti-coated often in Copal# 3 shutter. There were Linhof select versions, Sinar select versions and more.. In all cases this is a whopper large lens that can just cover 11x14 stopped down.

This is an early barrel version made for Sinar to be used with a Sinar shutter. Next to this 165mm f8 SA is a Schneider 150mm f5.6 Super Symmar XL which is another BIG lens..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	165mm f8 Super Angulon & 150mm f5.6 SSXL.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	219977

Whopper lenses like this demands a proper camera to support it or there will be problems in more ways than expected. While the 165mm f8 SA easily covers 4x5, the way excessively large image circle will project plenty of extra light inside the bellows causing flare and reflections inside the bellows that will reduce film contrast to varying degrees. This is why largest image circle is not always the ideal fits all lens solution.

Consider carefully before making this lens choice.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by carterwj View Post

2) Schneider Super Angulon 165mm F8.

OK
    I'll play the devil's advocate.
    If shooting 8x10 black and white is what rocks your boat, shoot 8x10.
    You already have the lens, so go for it.
    You'll likely waste a few sheets of 'spensive film, however the learning curve isn't as bad as it's made out to be since
    playing with expensive toys tends to slow one down and take extra care to avoid repeat mistakes
    and you'll save a wee bit by contact printing 8x10 over enlarging or scanning 4x5 with less gear to spend $$$ on.

If that's the format you're destined for, then take to bull by the tail
    You'll also need a camera, some film holders (three is enough to start with)---a box of film and another box of paper---and a tripod that can take the weight
    Once you're over the initial price shock, the world is your oyster. Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    An 8x10 enlarger would require a bulldozer and construction crew.
    If your camera is strong enough, add a 9x11" light table, a bag bellows of some sort to darken the stray light, plain ground glass with corners and a film holder with a 8x10" rectangular hole and a 210-240mm lens and you are good to go.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Yes. It is expensive and heavy. I went for it. Maybe a mistake. I got the lens for $1300 used (obviously).

I got a Toyo View 810 G. I need to get film holders. I already have a Bogen Tripod that I think will do the trick. For now I am thinking of scanning my negatives rather than enlarging. It will be a while before I can afford an 8X10 enlarger and have a place to put it.

I went ahead and bought the 165 SA. There doesn't seem to be many out there and I thought I might miss it. I got it for US$1300. I also got an 8X10 view (Toyo 810 G). So I think that will resolve the reflection in the bellows issues. However, I never thought of that. I do appreciate your detailed input.

I read that the Toyo View 810 G is sturdy, but I have nothing to compare it to. Do you think that body will be adequate to support the 165 SA? My standard lens (Caltar II N 360 mm) is even heavier. That is a rebranded Rodenstock. It sure is a beautiful piece of glass.

Thank you John. That was my thinking exactly. And I did go for it and bought an 8X10 camera. I am eager to start shooting with it. Small problem though. I live in Jackson Mississippi right now. I am not sure if there is anything local that will be interesting to shoot. I make many trips to Texas, Arizona and California though. Lots of good subject matter in those states.