Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pop-up darkroom...

Re: Pop-up darkroom...

I have also tried a grow tent before but also had a lot of problems with light leaks and poor quality. They can work well for a fixed installation, but they are too fragile for use in the field. That black exterior is indeed a shame, hopefully it will be a commercial success and a second version will be released soon. Painting the outside also doesn't seem like a good stable solution that will work well for a long time. I've secretly been waiting for a ready-made tent for wet plates for a while, because this is still my biggest obstacle to start with wet plates. If there are no major problems from the reviews I will definitely purchase one. I have photographed everything around my house often enough and I hardly do portrait photography, so developing on location is a must.

I am not familiar with those rescue blankets and only know them from TV, are they reusable? Otherwise, I don't think it's really a sustainable solution. I was mainly thinking about putting a large fitted bed sheet over it. For wet plate photography I already need a cart to carry everything with me, then that will probably no longer be a problem.

Rescue blankets are re-useable to a point...but I think the idea of using a white bed-sheet would be better.

I might suggest sewing the bedsheet to the outside of the pop-up to make for easier logistics - but then those new seams might need to be taped to guard against possible ingress of light (do a light-check first?).

Alternately, some spray-on fabric glue could be used...but later outgassing could make working inside a bit unpleasant, at least for awhile!

Seems like there might be enough wet-plate folks around to convince Ilford to offer their tent with an option of a white exterior?

Quote Originally Posted by _Karl View Post
    OK, let me be more specific. The installation will be semi-permanent. As for cost, I'll have less in the cost of the tent involved than if I construct it of normal construction materials
    How about using black FoamCore board? You can use duct tape for the edges where the boards join. You might not need any studs, as the FoamCore is stiff enough and if the footprint is not too big. With the right design, you could remove the ceiling and fold in the sides to store the unit.

That's pretty cool. Not for everyone but pretty cool. Yes, I can see it not being completely lightproof like floor is uneven, seams, etc. I'm sure another tarp on top will take care of that. Probably have to be down to chonies cause it'll get hot in there. That would be neat for people with RV's and on the road.

I'm just happy that Ilford is innovating (copying?) that stuff and keeping printing and film alive!
    --

Drew Wiley

Looks like a great place to get suffocated if you don't attach the OPTIONAL air ducting. I'd think lawyers would have an opinion about that, as they salivate over the thought. Somebody might be tempted to become a tent chaser instead of an ambulance chaser. Might be nice for the RV photo following. Controlling dust inside there might be a bit tricky, or mice and scorpions, out in the desert. But good for Ilford! Lack of personal darkroom space is one of the biggest hindrances for people getting into the craft. A simple "tray ladder" setup for sake of smaller prints would fit in there just fine. If it doesn't work out, just convert it into your own secret miniature ICBM missile enclosure. Survivalists and James Bond would approve.

A better alternative to foam core would be gatorboard (much sturdier/stiffer than foam core) - comes in black, also as 4x8 foot sheets...in 3/16 and 1/2 inch thickness. Should be sturdy enough to incorporate electrical/plumbing inputs, plus ventilation cutouts.

The 3/16 thickness should work fine, and while it is a bit heavier than foam core - would still be much lighter and easier to handle than would an equal thickness of plywood, plus would not need any painting/finishing.

Drew Wiley

That amount of Gatorboard would cost more than the Ilford film tent in question. At least Gator is a slightly moisture resistant, which ordinary fomecore isn't. Just use black 6-mil polyethylene instead, over a quick-fit framework of gray PVC pipe and fittings, or a set of shock poles borrowed from a real tent.

The Ilford tent was due to come out in the last quarter of 2021, as far as I can tell no one in the US is carrying it yet?

B&H has it available for pre-order: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...MaAndMEALw_wcB . It's listed as 'coming soon,' which I've seen elsewhere to mean 'early March.'

And yes: I preordered one.

Quote Originally Posted by d_archivist View Post
    B&H has it available for pre-order: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...MaAndMEALw_wcB . It's listed as 'coming soon,' which I've seen elsewhere to mean 'early March.'

And yes: I preordered one.
    Oh thank you!