Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pop-up darkroom...

Re: Pop-up darkroom...

Quote Originally Posted by _Karl View Post
    calebarchie

https://www.thecontainerlab.com/blog.../27/early-days

I'm quite interested in your use of the grow tent as a darkroom. The Ilford tent, as well as the one you show, look a little small for what I want to use - Besseler 45MXT. I have been looking at various grow tents and they look quite suitable.

The big question I have is how well will these tents work when turned inside out. Most of them look plausible but getting feedback from the manufacturers is more than difficult. I also plan to mostly use it for digital conversions but still need occasional darkroom access.

Has anyone else used this approach?
    I’ve tried some and some friends have tried others. Including fishing tents, growing tents, etc. None are really light proof, they leak through seams, zips, etc. they *can* be made to work by painting the trouble areas with back silicone paint, wrapping them, applying patches in the problem areas, and other solutions, but it requires work, maintenance and attention. I think (hope?) these issues would not be present in Ilford’s solution since it’s meant as a dark room, whereas no one is going to complaint if a grow tent, used for its intended purpose, leaks a tiny bit of light through seams and such … but we would.

calebarchie

https://www.thecontainerlab.com/blog.../27/early-days

I'm quite interested in your use of the grow tent as a darkroom. The Ilford tent, as well as the one you show, look a little small for what I want to use - Besseler 45MXT. I have been looking at various grow tents and they look quite suitable.

The big question I have is how well will these tents work when turned inside out. Most of them look plausible but getting feedback from the manufacturers is more than difficult. I also plan to mostly use it for digital conversions but still need occasional darkroom access.

Has anyone else used this approach?
    Larger grow tents are available, just more expensive. Almost all of them are chinese made so they will more often than not contain little pinholes which you will need to patch, inverting the fabric puts more stress on the seams which eventually need to be patched up. It works more for semi permanent installations I wouldn't be constantly erecting and taking it down, it would fall apart before too long. I used mine mainly for digi neg contact prints so I wasn't in there for long periods of time wasn't that practical for enlargements, in the end gave it to a friend for growing the good stuff.

Hope that helps..
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog

Not exactly large format enlargement friendly, but perfect for contacting printing. Good marketing for young beginners to get their feet wet. Wonderful price.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

OK, let me be more specific. The installation will be semi-permanent. As for cost, I'll have less in the cost of the tent involved than if I construct it of normal construction materials - it's not a nice location. Has anyone tried turning a Gorilla Grow Tent inside-out and erecting it? The company assures me the tent will be light-tight (they do use some pretty hefty materials) and claim they have numerous customers using their tents for darkrooms. Watching videos, it appears to be doable. Taping seams and pinholes will not be a big deal.

I too would be interested in knowing the ability of using a Gorilla Grow tent inside out. I would be erecting it in a single location and leaving it set up as my dry sink darkroom.

Would be problematic to use Ilford's pop up darkroom outdoors in sunlight - not for light leaks...but because it would get hot as heck inside because the outer surface is black. Design flaw IMHO.

Hmmm...acceptable work-around - wrap the darkroom in one or two "rescue blankets" (compact, lightweight aluminized mylar) - should help to keep things cool.

It’s aimed at photographers who don’t have a permanent darkroom and/or beginners. That sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Would be problematic to use Ilford's pop up darkroom outdoors in sunlight - not for light leaks...but because it would get hot as heck inside because the outer surface is black. Design flaw IMHO.

Hmmm...acceptable work-around - wrap the darkroom in one or two "rescue blankets" (compact, lightweight aluminized mylar) - should help to keep things cool.

My critique was basically in response to the person who mentioned the possibility of using the darkroom for wet plate, at least in cases where a subject is photographed outdoors in sunlight at a location too far from the darkroom to allow the plate to remain wet.

OK, let me be more specific. The installation will be semi-permanent. As for cost, I'll have less in the cost of the tent involved than if I construct it of normal construction materials - it's not a nice location. Has anyone tried turning a Gorilla Grow Tent inside-out and erecting it? The company assures me the tent will be light-tight (they do use some pretty hefty materials) and claim they have numerous customers using their tents for darkrooms. Watching videos, it appears to be doable. Taping seams and pinholes will not be a big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffz View Post
    I too would be interested in knowing the ability of using a Gorilla Grow tent inside out. I would be erecting it in a single location and leaving it set up as my dry sink darkroom.
    To be honest, these just look like another chinese-made tent so the same considerations apply - I would just source the cheapest one you can find to give you an idea I got mine for 50 AUD. I would not pay silly prices for "brand-name" tents when they all come from the same place, some are even more expensive than this ilford one?
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by calebarchie View Post
    To be honest, these just look like another chinese-made tent so the same considerations apply - I would just source the cheapest one you can find to give you an idea I got mine for 50 AUD. I would not pay silly prices for "brand-name" tents when they all come from the same place, some are even more expensive than this ilford one?

I'm interested but always will wait for reviews from actual users. As for "too hot to use for wet plate," that's exactly what I want one for. Too hot? Geepers, usually I'm using a 12v heater to keep things warm, most of the year.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!