Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on purchasing an expensive darkroom item from Germany to US

Need advice on purchasing an expensive darkroom item from Germany to US

I’m trying to see if I can get a close estimate on US import duties to buy a film processor from Germany. The harmonized code is quite confusing and I am hoping someone can help me determine the actual duty I will incur.

If any experienced member is willing to offer some advice- please message me.

Thanks!

Re: Need advice on purchasing an expensive darkroom item from Germany to US

If you’re in the US and buying photo equipment from Germany I don’t think you have any Customs duty to pay. I’m certain of it for used photography gear, but believe it is so for new gear also.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

I was a licensed importer and exporter as part of another business for years and found that if it is shipped directly via either Fed-Ex or DHL that for personal and used items you probably don't need to declare. Business to business is where you'll need the harmonized codes (https://hts.usitc.gov/current) and a Fed-ID number. If you are called by the shipper, they should be able to help if you can't find it in the link I provided. One other option is to call a vendor/importer for a similar item (JOBO) and ask what code they use. This may be an issue if a business ships to you from an international source.

A few years ago I purchased a JOBO processor that was shipped from Germany via Fed-Ex or DHL to my personal (not business) USPS mailbox. I had to sign for it, but there was no import duty fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A few years ago I purchased a JOBO processor that was shipped from Germany via Fed-Ex or DHL to my personal (not business) USPS mailbox. I had to sign for it, but there was no import duty fee.
    Before or during Trump is the question, as far as I read the papers diagonally well enough

Thanks, all - I think Otto.f may have highlighted the key point - I think the rules and or enforcement may have changed in the last few years. I sent a request to Customs for a binding decision and I’ll see what they have to say at some point.

Pls share reply from Customs. As I am considering to get new Chamonix 8x10. Thanks.

My experience is that the rules really only changed in the Canada/US/Mexico environment. We still import/export in North America and there have been some changes there but nothing internationally that I'm aware of at this point. I'd be interested if anyone finds something different.

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I was a licensed importer and exporter as part of another business for years and found that if it is shipped directly via either Fed-Ex or DHL that for personal and used items you probably don't need to declare. Business to business is where you'll need the harmonized codes (https://hts.usitc.gov/current) and a Fed-ID number. If you are called by the shipper, they should be able to help if you can't find it in the link I provided. One other option is to call a vendor/importer for a similar item (JOBO) and ask what code they use. This may be an issue if a business ships to you from an international source.
    Yes, I managed to import once using the Fed-Ex delivery service without declaring.

I can update now - I was investigating a new Jobo CPP3 from Germany and base on the exchange rates at the time I could have saved around $650-700US, before considering duty. Of course the FX rates are not as favorable now as they were previously, but it might still makes sense depending on the fees.

I requested a ruling from CBP and it came back very quickly stating that the fee would be 2.4% - so given that, it pushed me just past the point where the hassles of importing make sense for me. So I am figuring how I can rationalize buying one at the US prices.

I can share that ruling if there is any interest, but that is the bottom line.
    Last edited by gdi; 26-Nov-2022 at 17:25.