Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Does a Photograph's medium change your opinion of it?

Re: Does a Photograph's medium change your opinion of it?

hoodoo noun
    Save Word
    To save this word, you'll need to log in.

hoo·​doo | \ ˈhü-(ˌ)dü \
    plural hoodoos
    Definition of hoodoo (Entry 1 of 2)
    1: a body of practices of sympathetic magic traditional especially among African Americans in the southern U.S.
    2: a natural column of rock in western North America often in fantastic form
    3: something that brings bad luck
    4: NONSENSE, HOKUM
    hoodoo verb
    hoodooed; hoodooing; hoodoos
    Definition of hoodoo (Entry 2 of 2)
    transitive verb

: to cast a spell on
    broadly : to bring bad luck to
    Other Words from hoodoo
    Example Sentences
    Learn More About hoodoo

Other Words from hoodoo
    Noun

hoodooism \ ˈhü-​(ˌ)dü-​ˌi-​zəm \ noun
    Examples of hoodoo in a Sentence
    Noun
    some economists have characterized the proposal as economic hoodoo that should be hooted down
    some hoodoo must be at work—I lost both sets of house keys
    Recent Examples on the Web: Noun
    Cue pandemonium inside Wembley, as the crowd finally started to believe their tournament hoodoo against Germany was coming to end.
    — Matias Grez, CNN, 29 June 2021
    Bryce Canyon’s hoodoo collection is most enchanting at sunrise and sunset, but days here are filled with hiking and rock climbing.
    — Brandon Schultz, Forbes, 21 Apr. 2021
    These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'hoodoo.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More
    First Known Use of hoodoo
    Noun

1870, in the meaning defined at sense 1

Verb

1886, in the meaning defined above

History and Etymology for hoodoo
    Noun

perhaps alteration of voodoo

Learn More About hoodoo
    Share hoodoo
    Post the Definition of hoodoo to FacebookShare the Definition of hoodoo on Twitter
    Time Traveler for hoodoo

The first known use of hoodoo was in 1870
    See more words from the same year

From the Editors at Merriam-Webster
    image1481409085
    9 Words from the Magical Realm
    When language is magic

Dictionary Entries Near hoodoo
    Hood, Mount

hoodoo

hood ornament

See More Nearby Entries
    Statistics for hoodoo
    Last Updated

10 Sep 2021

Look-up Popularity
    Top 4% of words

Cite this Entry

“Hoodoo.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hoodoo. Accessed 23 Sep. 2021.

Seen & Heard
    People are talking about

More from Merriam-Webster on hoodoo
    Thesaurus: All synonyms and antonyms for hoodoo

WORD OF THE DAY
    chastise
    See Definitions and Examples »

Get Word of the Day daily email!

Your email address

TEST YOUR VOCABULARY
    Farm Idioms Quiz

cow coming home
    What does 'poke' refer to in the expression 'pig in a poke'?
    stable
    state of difficulty
    mud pit
    bag
    Name That Thing
    Test your visual vocabulary with our 10-question challenge!

TAKE THE QUIZ
    AlphaBear 2
    Spell words. Make bears.TAKE THE QUIZ

Love words? Need even more definitions?
    Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!

MERRIAM-WEBSTER UNABRIDGED
    WORDS AT PLAY
    red wine being poured into glass
    “In Vino Veritas” and Other Latin Phrases to Live By
    Top 10 Latin Phrases

autumn
    Is It 'Autumn' or 'Fall'?
    Why does this season have two different names?

wooden blocks with 17 september written on them
    The Words of the Week - 09/17/2021
    From the week ending 9/17/2021

hempen homespun
    7 Shakespearean Insults to Make Life More Interesting
    One for each day of the week

ASK THE EDITORS
    illustrated notebook that says everyday vs every day
    'Everyday' vs. 'Every Day'
    A simple trick to keep them separate

semantic bleaching text on white background
    What Is 'Semantic Bleaching'?
    How 'literally' can mean "figuratively"

video literally
    Literally
    How to use a word that (literally) drives some pe...

video his or her
    Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
    The awkward case of 'his or her'

WORD GAMES
    three bears two of them look like theyre whispering to a third bear who looks chuffed to be the center of attention
    That Sounds Right/Write/Wright
    A tricky quiz about soundalike words

TAKE THE QUIZ

name that thing animal edition
    Name That Thing: Animal Edition
    How many animals can you identify?

TAKE THE QUIZ

Name That Thing
    Name That Thing
    Test your visual vocabulary with our 10-question ...

TAKE THE QUIZ

AlphaBear 2
    AlphaBear 2
    AlphaBear 2

PLAY THE GAME
    Tin Can

Hoodoo that voodoo that you do so well...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150904_5008a.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	219866
    Theodore Roosevelt National Park, ND

Thank you all again for your thoughts! My opinion on the original topic has changed a bit because of your ideas. I'm glad I could ask here and find good answers.

Drew Wiley

Look like Hoodlum Hoodoos to me, quite anthropomorphic in a ski masked manner. Some beer belly or junk food folds too.

To help get this thread back on track (yes, I plead guilty of willful digression!), I’d like to add a caveat to my earlier “I could care less” (about the medium) statement - that while I wound never consider an image presented on my laptop as “final” unless otherwise indicated by the artist…I can still find such images (such as those we share on this forum) to be inspiring, enlightening, challenging, etc., and I’ll often indicate my enthusiasm for such imagery by stating my further wish that I could see such imagery in its actual, final form…”up close and personal.”

I should have copied all PD before he deleted them

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    As much as I hate to accept it, it seems to me the original photographic print as marketable art is essentially dead - Covid has contributed to this situation of course. My experience is that young people don't want large prints (or even small ones) in color or B+W prints on their walls. Small family images and perhaps pics of wildlife/nature are still acceptable. It's difficult to give prints (or self published photo books) away to family, while as much as they might appreciate the gesture/thought and the images, they are frequently stuffed away somewhere in due course. And those who have the funds will default to paintings over photo prints (with some deviation I am sure) for investment purposes. Photographic prints have lost their sale and intrinsic market value due to market oversaturation of images of course, but IMO, due to a relatively short lifespan.

Until such time that an original photographic print can have the same longevity as a painting/sculpture (i.e. indefinite), for the most part, photo prints will be dismissed as second rate display art, if one can consider it as art to begin with. I am dubious that technological breakthroughs will be realized to extend the lifespan of original photo prints indefinitely. So for all of the great print craftspersons that have emerged from the heyday of photo printing, the few that remain will be considered experts in an anachronistic medium. There will be exceptions I am sure. I believe well situated image makers such as Sexton and Butcher will continue to sell original images to the extent that they continue to receive media attention. We've already seen that large format color print sales have plummeted and with the loss of durst lambda print capability (chromira prints are not as good, and forget giclee images), it is difficult for me to offer prints for sale as they rarely meet my expectations.

I have tested color inkjet images, and IMO they are completely unacceptable for LF color image output.

Though I find it interesting that the market has come up with selling digitized images using secure digital tokens to assure uniqueness of the art (this eliminates the possibility of multiples of the same print in the market), I think it unlikely this will evolve for photo images as well.

Our hearts want our images to last in the minds of the viewer for a lifetime and longer, but the reality is we are lucky to have one person view an image for more than .6 seconds.

BTW, we have already seen how the digital camera market has been transformed by the image production available via phone cameras. If the market will not support large prints of analogue or digital sourced images, why bother with highest resolution cameras? Digital viewing isn't going away and for now, nor is Covid. Art galleries are displaying via zoom (for the most part), so again, why bother producing images that will produce large prints?

As much as I have loved 4x5 film images, the craft and the end result, there is no practical reason to continue using this medium.

So if I compare a digital vs film image produced by say Rodney Lough Jr, assuming they have similar aspect ratio, a) I frequently cannot tell which is analogue and which digital from my computer, and b) how many are going to buy these images given current market trends. I wish him the best in sales, but I am unconvinced there is a continuing viable market. I wish I were wrong.

So original medium is inconsequential, and while print output is very important to me, there is no demand and the best quality prints are no longer realizable.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    ...Seeing an actual print, painting or sculpture vs a reproduction, there is no comparison, yet you can still appreciate what makes a masterwork...
    Late to the party -- been doing some camping via kayak for the last few days.

You describe the condition here. Posted photographs which were not taken and constructed specifically for web viewing, are taken out of context (the print). So I try to judge only by the image...and not be impressed (positively or negatively) by the person's computer/technical quality of the image on the screen...not to be wowed by sharpness on the screen, or by the lack of it. Not far from AA's preference of wanting a good concept over just a sharp print.

While some look at their relationship to photography differently, I am not just an image maker, I am also a print maker. I create images specifically for a particular medium (pt/pd or carbon prints), considering the qualities of each process. My prints are a collaboration between image and process. The image must be equally strong as the use of the print process, but together they can create something beyond 1 plus 1 equaling 2.

To me, this would be closer to a Mozart music manuscript. All the creativity is there, and yes, one might be able to appreciate the beauty of the piece looking at the notes, etc.. But as long as it stays a piece of paper(s), it is not the complete.

Just had a thought about groups of work. If someone shows 12 prints that are tightly connected and depend on each other to work as a whole...would the fact that one image taken out of the group may be too weak to stand on its own (but works strongly with the other images) change one's opinion of the whole group of images? Or subtracting an image from a triptych that may not work on its own?
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ... a collaboration between image and process. The image must be equally strong as the use of the print process, but together they can create something beyond 1 plus 1 equaling 2.
    +1

To me, this would be closer to a Mozart music manuscript. All the creativity is there, and yes, one might be able to appreciate the beauty of the piece looking at the notes, etc.. But as long as it stays a piece of paper(s), it is not the complete.
    A musical score is just a set of directions for making a piece of music. It is no more music than a recipe is food. And, like a recipe requires a cook with skill and creativity to be its best, a score requires skilled and creative musicians to bring it to life. And each iteration of the score is its own manifestation of that set of directions; its own work, as it were - a collaboration between composer and interpreters - Plato might say, a shadow of the ideal.

Just had a thought about groups of work. If someone shows 12 prints that are tightly connected and depend on each other to work as a whole...would the fact that one image taken out of the group may be too weak to stand on its own (but works strongly with the other images) change one's opinion of the whole group of images? Or subtracting an image from a triptych that may not work on its own?
    Prints in groups can be considered one work with many components. I stands on the merits of its total expression. Taking a print out of context may work (as taking a detail of a painting works at times, e.g., the fingers of God and Adam from Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling), but choosing a weak print or detail from a painting, etc. defeats the purpose.

Doremus

Then there are poems. Written and spoken are two very different things, yet both appreciated. The written play, and the performance. Are English teachers still making student read Shakespeare's plays?

The musical example does have its weaknesses, but I'll still place more weight on the score...far more weight, proportionally, than a recipe, IMO. But I am a lousy cook who needs to carry a tune in a sack.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

These analogies aren’t very good.

Just say a photograph isn’t finished until it’s finished instead of contorting this business six ways from Sunday.