Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Does a Photograph's medium change your opinion of it?

Re: Does a Photograph's medium change your opinion of it?

Name:	Message meaning.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	219798

Messanger:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Messanger meaning.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	219799

Discuss.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Gingikinz View Post
    According to a quick search, it is "message", not "messenger." I can see why both fit though.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    For me the medium makes a enormous difference. Daguerreotypes are of interest to me, but especially if they are pre 1846, without the preserver.
    Tintypes are of relative interest to few although I am of the opinion that there is room for scholarship in the future here.
    Very early salt prints are of interest but because of preservation issues they ae difficult.
    Albumin or collodion prints are wonderful, although I prefer larger prints as opposed to CDV's.
    Platinum prints are always appreciated but I do not care for Waterbury prints or photogravures much.
    I am very unlikely to want to collect a press photo or a half tone print from an annual of photography.
    A beautifully toned 1930's studio print is much more attractive to me than a 1970's soot and chalk glossy.
    The material means with which a photograph is presented is very much a part of the appeal and therefore of the viewer's opinion.
    Your post changed my mind. At first, I discounted the medium choosing the effect of the picture as a whole rather than its format. But I've changed my mind. It is true that the type of photo can have an effect, maybe even a large one. When you look at an old picture, it can set off a nostalgia type of feeling which can be pleasant in itself that wouldn't be felt using a modern print method. Also, when I've been to galleries and museums which have had huge prints, it has a great effect on me that wouldn't necessarily with a smaller one with the same image.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
    In my way of thinking (YMMD) the 'final photo' exists as a medium..to judge the photo is to judge the medium in which it was created. To judge a photograph solely by the image is to judge the ocean by the its surface only.
    So does that affect your opinion of it?
    If the medium, presentation, and skill do not match the quality of the image -- mostly disappointment in the photograph...but with possible appreciation of the thought behind the image and its possibilities.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I say the medium can enhance the effect of the image, but is not the sole factor. I've seen plenty of ugly images created in every possible medium.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Marshal McLuhan’s 1964 breakthrough book “Understanding Media” famously said that a medium and its characteristics can affect audiences apart from its substance: “The medium is the message.”

Sandy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    The medium is the messenger, The medium is NOT the message.

Discuss,
    Bernice

Why all this polarized linear thinking? One doesn't exclude the other. I would answer that the medium is both part of the message and takes part in delivering the message as well.

Then, of course, the medium can be part of the expressive content of the artwork as well as the message. It's the synergy and the choice of combination that enables good art to rise to extreme levels of intense expression.

Change of medium changes both the message and the messenger too. Everything about a good work of art contributes to the totality.

Why do we try to separate things from each other that work better together?

Doremus

I do believe the conversation has gone off the tracks here. In Marshall Mcluhan's book, The Medium Is The Message, the medium is the means of communication. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_medium_is_the_message

In the arts, the medium is the material or form used by an artist, composer, or writer.

Basically my point, Doremus, but better written by you.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I see

poorly
    Tin Can

YES _!_

Message_messenger should/must be considered a system to net a result. It is too easy fall into obsessing over one or the other believing mastery or ownership of any given device or technique is the solo key to meeting the idealized fantasy.... never realizing BOTH must function together as a system to achieve a worthy result.

The topic of a specific view camera begin "superior" to all others and IS the prime consideration for image making often comes up on LFF and else where. Yet, a specific view camera is more often than not a lower item of importance in the system of expressive image making.

There are those who tend to focus on the equipment or image recording process or print making process or print mounting/print finishing process yet to achieve the ideal result demands adequate skills in all these areas and often more.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Why all this polarized linear thinking? One doesn't exclude the other. I would answer that the medium is both part of the message and takes part in delivering the message as well.

Then, of course, the medium can be part of the expressive content of the artwork as well as the message. It's the synergy and the choice of combination that enables good art to rise to extreme levels of intense expression.

Change of medium changes both the message and the messenger too. Everything about a good work of art contributes to the totality.

Why do we try to separate things from each other that work better together?

Doremus

Provenance
    Tin Can