Or should I wait for 22?

Is it useful with LF scans

AND

Digi

I would like full file tether to my iPad 6

Which arrives in a week
    Tin Can

Re: Capture 21 General Usefulness

File handling in Capture One is radically different and, to my taste, much clumsier compared to pretty much every other photo editor and/or raw converter I've ever used. Also, default settings are way overcooked for my taste, though of course that can be adjusted. I've tried it twice, first quite a few years ago and more recently version 20, and have never gotten comfortable with it. I much prefer other programs.

YMMV.

This late in the year, I’d just wait for 2022.

Definitely at least wait until they offer a free upgrade to 22. New version usually comes out mid/late fall. *Caution* - free updates are on a version basis, not by purchase date. Many people buy during a sale before a new version comes, then feel cheated when they can't upgrade even though they just bought a couple months ago. (Of course there's also the subscription option.)

My take: It's my preferred raw converter, but a different mindset than Lightroom. Many things will seem backwards at first. I'd allow a few months to get up to speed with it.

The color tools are very powerful and can do things LR can't. For jobs/projects, I like the session workflow, where the whole job stays contained in it's own folder. If you have a newish mainstream camera, the pro-standard profiles are very good.

Cataloging, keywording, etc are not as refined as LR, and some convenience features are missing. Support in recent years has taken a dive. Sometimes you can catch the ear of a rep or ambassador or other user on forums or FB and get a quick answer. Seems like they're trying to transition/expand from a pro/commercial user base to a more general one, so there are some growing pains in the areas of support and bug fixes/feature prioritization.

Supposedly there's something coming for iPads, I assume that'll be v22.

For film scanning, there's a free third party plugin/helper called Analog Toolbox that works pretty well at inverting color negatives.

Alan, good advice

I will wait for 22

I really don’t like Lightroom but love PS and some of the iPad Adobe apps

I look forward to the New Year
    Tin Can

I have used Capture One since something like version 3; currently on 21. Personally, I find the results to be much more to my liking than other raw converters. Unlike Oren, I don't find the file handling to be cumbersome. You can choose to import your images into a catalog (ala, Lightroom) or work in sessions. I like sessions because I can create a specific project and everything associated with it lives in a cohesive folder structure which is easily backed up and/or moved to another computer.

Capture One is great for tethering, but like Oren I'm simply more familiar with other options, and so unless I'm tethering, I don't use it. Is there a month-long trial?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Capture One is great for tethering, but like Oren I'm simply more familiar with other options, and so unless I'm tethering, I don't use it. Is there a month-long trial?
    Yes, a 30 day trial is available. And, if you don't need or want the "Pro" version, there are less expensive versions of the product available.

I haven’t tethered in 6 years

I desire good results for my poor eyesight

I am still working on AF LF

😎

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Tin Can

Like Photoshop, getting used to any photo editor of this sophistication and quality is going to take a heavy learning curve. So, there's the potential to confuse lack of ease of use with being early on this curve. Clearly, it's a very capable product.

I know it has some nice features for tethered use and working with live images on a computer screen. It also has one or two pre-conversion operations that I really like that aren't available in Photoshop. For the most part, Photoshop restricts layers to a single operation like Curves, Levels, Saturation, etc. For good or bad, this is not necessarily the case with Phase One, though I believe that a Phase One layer is restricted to a single mask.

What's interesting price wise, Capture One is free to those with a Phase One digital back. And of course in this case, the software has been optimized for use with that capture device. But with non-Phase One cameras, a friend tells me that it's rather expensive.