Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bostick & Sullivan kits

Re: Bostick & Sullivan kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Rarely does the light call for slight under-exposure.
    Excellent, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I always attempt to expose correctly. Rarely does the light call for slight under-exposure.
    But I do find sometimes the best exposure can be slight less than 'normal' -- but I do not call that under-exposing, but the proper exposure for my needs. Much depends on how the shadows are dispersed within the image. But the reduction in exposure is small -- never more than a stop. I generally want some shadow areas to be clear on the film. These shadow areas are very small and any lack of detail in them is too small in a contact print for me to be disappointed that I cannot see info in them.

I develop at about 100% of 'normal'. PyrocatHD, 2:2:100, 74F. 8 to 12 minutes or so. Expert Drums. A lot depends on the film type and which process I will be using -- platinum/palladium or carbon (which requires more contrast than pt/pd).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I agree with what Vaughn says - and to me that is the correct exposure for the conditions.

One other thing to note is that Dana Sullivan (of Bostick & Sullivan) is super accessible. I have had multiple in-depth conversations with him before I made a purchasing decision. He was great at listening to what I had previously done, what I wanted to do, etc. I would give him a call and just chat if you have any questions about which kit is right for you. Not in any way affiliated - just a happy Pt/Pd and Kallitype customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I develop at about 100% of 'normal'. PyrocatHD, 2:2:100, 74F. 8 to 12 minutes or so.
    Vaughn--excellent "visual" info, thanks...and that's really putting the spurs to your negatives!

Jim--thanks as well...no doubt you've got your development down to a science--I'm still at the "alt 'em if they're thick; scan 'em if they're thin" stage, but hopefully I will get sorted before to long.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Vaughn--excellent "visual" info, thanks...and that's really putting the spurs to your negatives!...
    Yeah -- I am sort of the opposite of Jim -- To decide on a development time I lick my finger and stick it in the air -- then wonder why my finger is wet -- and then look at some past developing records (to check SBR, how I developed, and how I remember the print turning out) and decide on a time.

Sandy King read a couple of my negatives -- he said too much exposure, but since I use the negs to print, I like the contrast and strength of my shadow areas -- most of the time. He scans negs and can mess with shadows in PhotoShop. I end up with negs with a density range of around 3 for carbon printing...a little less for Pt/pd.

Of course dense negatives need to be exposed longer -- but generally, alt processes actually like long exposure times...especially those that self-mask like Pt/pd...and even Carbon to a small extent.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China