Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Notched Film Holders, Examples

Re: Notched Film Holders, Examples

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    as I see it, the primary benefit of the notches is that the location of the film is marked on the negative itself, so you don't have to be especially careful to track the sheet once it comes out of the film holder, unless you are unloading and reloading on the same trip. If you develop in batches, that simplfies matching up the negative to your notes after the fact. A few months ago, I did a week-long camping trip with my camera and took about 45 shots. My film holders aren't notched, so I lost track of what is what. having things notched would have made lining things up, after the fact, much easier.
    While not to the point where I'm doing anything this involved, this is part of why I was asking/looking into this option... I also, in smaller formats shoot a lot of differing formats/cameras, so I have created an Airtable DB for all (most, I'm terrible abut updating it apparently) of my gear and all of my film. For the purpose of being able to track each load from purchase, to camera, to lab and to scanned file. I'm about 20 sheets into 4x5 and one of the things that's been nagging at me is my inability to do this better... but I feel like this will really make it possible to have a nice clean End to End tracking system. Which I know isn't the bigger point of the process, but it is one of the aspects that I'm currently trying to lock down.

Good Dog

Approves!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I use three different-shaped files, in a Roman-numeral style, to notch my holders.
    Flat is I, V is 5, O is 10. Fourteen would be OIV, for example.
    Here's what it looks like on a finished neg, from holder #2.
    Attachment 219673
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    But not which side of the holder each sheet came from. That’s important if, for example, one side develops a light leak.
    What part of 1A vs 1B don't you understand. Holder #1 side A or B. Out of my 34 holders of varying vintage not one has a light leak. I would suspect most "light leaks" come from not seating the holder properly or letting it slip away from the camera when removing or inserting the slide. Or forgetting to close the bail back spring.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    What part of 1A vs 1B don't you understand. Holder #1 side A or B. Out of my 34 holders of varying vintage not one has a light leak. I would suspect most "light leaks" come from not seating the holder properly or letting it slip away from the camera when removing or inserting the slide. Or forgetting to close the bail back spring.
    Say you process 6 sheets of film together. One has a problem. How do you know which side of which holder that sheet was in? It’s not a matter of notching. It’s a problem of identifying where the sheet came from.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    OK-- I have two holders, labeled "1" and "2", and each side is labeled "A" and "B". I take four photographs, in holders labeled 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. I place those two holders in a dark bag, I remove each sheet of film, and load it into an SP-445 holder (two trays in one holder).

How do I know, when I pull four sheets out of the SP-445, which one was "2A" or "1B"? I might have been smart enough to remember which order I put them in the bag, but how do I know which is side A and which is side B? I'm pretty good at visualization, so in theory, I could *probably* keep them straight in the dark, while transferring them from one set of holders to another, but it's not easy.

Gets worse if I've taken six photos, and I'm using the QL45-- that doesn't have an index at all. Although in reality, 6 sheets is easier, because I probably used the grafmatic, and I've still got the index wheel on mine.

Also, I've got some vintage film holders that do indeed leak light through the tape over the flippy bit. Easy to fix, but they do leak light.

don't know hw man holders I have, or have had. Currently counting al sizes there are over 200. I have never had one leak "through the tape over the flippy bit." All leaks have been through the light trap on the end where the dark slide is inserted. The tape is only to allow the hinged flap to get out of the way and return to the correct position hundreds of times. Those flaps are the light traps, not the tape.

Mostly to track if I have a problem with any particular holder, I use a cloud-based spreadsheet on my phone and computer. Using my phone I can update it in the field as I shoot and it updates to my computer automatically. Since I cut Microsoft loose when I retired, I use the Mac NUMBERS program, which works well for me. I have set up drop-downs for my cameras, lenses, exposure values. I use the notes field mostly to track subject, which allows me to tie the holder to the image, but it could be used for any info. Fields could also be but for Zone values or other info. I do not use the A-B system but use a unique number for each side of the holder. One spreadsheet tracks everything I shoot until I develop. Then I save-as with the name of the Lightroom folder than will eventually hold the images and transfer some of the info to the keyword fields. Smarter people may have smarter systems--and I am still refining this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H-202106-16.numbers-Sheet1-1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	219779
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    Mostly to track if I have a problem with any particular holder, I use a cloud-based spreadsheet on my phone and computer. Using my phone I can update it in the field as I shoot and it updates to my computer automatically. Since I cut Microsoft loose when I retired, I use the Mac NUMBERS program, which works well for me. I have set up drop-downs for my cameras, lenses, exposure values. I use the notes field mostly to track subject, which allows me to tie the holder to the image, but it could be used for any info. Fields could also be but for Zone values or other info. I do not use the A-B system but use a unique number for each side of the holder. One spreadsheet tracks everything I shoot until I develop. Then I save-as with the name of the Lightroom folder than will eventually hold the images and transfer some of the info to the keyword fields. Smarter people may have smarter systems--and I am still refining this one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H-202106-16.numbers-Sheet1-1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	219779
    Picture 21 and 22 subjects are described the same as are 23 and 24. Without notches, how would you tell afterwards which is which?

I'm sure you are right, Alan. I do load and unload the reels in order, which helps to identify issues when two images of the same subject. But I can see that notches provide a more permanent record. Should I choose to notch, it would be easy enough to add a column on the spreadsheet for the notch value.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    I'm sure you are right, Alan. I do load and unload the reels in order, which helps to identify issues when two images of the same subject. But I can see that notches provide a more permanent record. Should I choose to notch, it would be easy enough to add a column on the spreadsheet for the notch value.
    Should you choose to notch, I don’t think a “column” is required, since your holders are already numbered… just notch per you current numbering… that is what I’m currently intending… I just have to clear already loaded holders…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk