Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI tripod questions

Zone VI tripod questions

Picked up a Zone VI tripod with the 3047 head for my 4x5, first off the QR plate is missing so are my only options to just get a replacement or is there something better? Secondly what is the purpose for the black knobs that attach the legs to the base as they don't seem to tighten the legs in place at all? I get that the rope thing is what keeps the legs from spreading but not sure the purpose of the top "locking" bolts are?

Re: Zone VI tripod questions

If you unscrew the two black knobs you can slide the leg extension up and down. I put beeswax on mine so it would slide easily. That is how you use the bubble level to get the level set for the tripod base itself. Then use the bubbles on the 3047 head to level the head side to side and up and down.

I used this tripod for precision architectural work and it never failed me. Outdoors it works just fine.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Daniel, I get that part but what i'm wondering is the top ones that secure the legs to the actual base, are they supposed to tighten the legs?

Yes the top black knobs tighten the leg to the tripod base.

In one of their Zone VI newsletters, they suggested adding two metal flat washers with a locking washer in the middle, for each knob. I did this and it does makes the knobs easier to tighten and loosen. Just regular inexpensive parts from the hardware store
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 12-Sep-2021 at 05:30.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Maross396 View Post
    Picked up a Zone VI tripod with the 3047 head for my 4x5, first off the QR plate is missing so are my only options to just get a replacement or is there something better? Secondly what is the purpose for the black knobs that attach the legs to the base as they don't seem to tighten the legs in place at all? I get that the rope thing is what keeps the legs from spreading but not sure the purpose of the top "locking" bolts are?
    Cant speak to the tripod, but the 3047 is a Bogen/Manfrotto head that uses the hex shaped QR plate. The standard hex plate costs about $20-25 new for a 1/4, 3/8 or a ones with thumb screw. They used to make some other QR place that fit the same mount. One is about 4x2 in--I have that on on the monorail on my Technikardan. Then they made a 4x4 which I have on the base of my 8x10 Norma. The larger ones make sense, mostly for dealing with mounting locations that the standard hex is too small for. They're no longer made, so finding the larger ones is a challenge.

There is a discussion about the part numbers on the large plates here:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-hex-QR-plates

One thing that doesn't come up in that discussion is when transitioned to the Manfrotto name, the part numbers seemed to change, and the 4x4 plate became "030L". Not sure about the 4x2 plate.

Drew Wiley

I had nothing but hell with that tripod, so replaced all the susceptible metal parts with stainless steel equivalents, replaced the top with marine ply and a laminate material over that. Never did find anything that would keep the legs from swelling in damp weather and even literally freezing up in icy conditions; and I had the largest selection of marine finishes in the area at that time, here on the coast. Finally gave it away. The big ole Bogen head has been repurposed to my new deluxe copy stand. Replacement hex plates (the best choice) and square plates are easy to find, though now Manfrotto labeled. But overall, it's not a bad starter system, although not ideal for bad weather or saltwater atmospheres. Those old Bogen heads have always been a bargain, last forever, and can double as a boat anchor if needed.

yea Drew i'm already anticipating its going to be a pain in the ass but will be workable for me at the time and got it for a good price. When i first looked at it I was a little baffled by its funky design and still am struggling to understand the purpose for those screws at the top that attach the legs to the base ie; why they dont tighten the legs down?

Drew Wiley

Top screw are just a custom with certain survey tripods lines. The Z6 is just a modified survey tripod switching out the 5/8-11 turnbolt with a 3/8-16 one. The idea is that those upper knobs can keep the legs from spreading on a slippery surface. It only works so-so in this case, so a supplemental string system was provided. I pretty much ignored them. To protect floors from the spike feet as well as prevent an unwanted degree of spread, I'd just bring along three friction-style caster cups. Now my Ries tripod has reversible legs, spiked one, rubber-tip on the other. Both my Ries also have tightening knobs at the top of each leg too; and I have always ignored them as well. But the nice thing about Ries is that all the metal is non-ferrous and won't rust. But it ins't difficult or expensive to replace the majority of the steel on the Z6 model with stainless steel, except for the iron spike feet.

I once was a sucker for Fred Picker's snake oil medicine wagon salesmanship. But he really didn't need to do that, because he actually had some very fine products. The tripods weren't quite up to the same standard; but hey, at least they'll reliably support a heavy camera.

I know two photographers who had their cameras fall off of the 3047 heads. I had one, too. They way the head grips the plate can get crossed. It feels tight but can shift around and loosen.

I own both of Fred's tripods--the "lightweight" and the standard--and use both for many years until I got older and moved on to carbon fiber. The top leg lockdowns on my lightweight tripod have never tightened down to the point where a leg cannot be moved at all. This never bothered me and was never an issue. I used the 3047 head, too, and never had any issues with it. My only comment on that head is one Fred made to me one day when he ran into me photographing. He saw that I had an 8x10 Deardorff mounted on it and his comment was "I wouldn't recommend that head for that weight camera." Obviously, I didn't want anything bad happening, since I routinely carried it on the tripod over my shoulder, so I moved on to a more suitable head for that camera.