Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zone VI tripod questions

Re: Zone VI tripod questions

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I own both of Fred's tripods--the "lightweight" and the standard--and use both for many years until I got older and moved on to carbon fiber. The top leg lockdowns on my lightweight tripod have never tightened down to the point where a leg cannot be moved at all. This never bothered me and was never an issue. I used the 3047 head, too, and never had any issues with it. My only comment on that head is one Fred made to me one day when he ran into me photographing. He saw that I had an 8x10 Deardorff mounted on it and his comment was "I wouldn't recommend that head for that weight camera." Obviously, I didn't want anything bad happening, since I routinely carried it on the tripod over my shoulder, so I moved on to a more suitable head for that camera.
    I think the 3047 is rated to something like 16lbs (I have no idea if those ratings are standardized), so many 8x10s won't work with it, and even the lightest are starting to push to the max weight (my general goal is to keep the camera weight to 1/2 the tripod/head capacity.) I'm looking for a reletively inexpensive (!) trippod with nothing but a simple leveling base for the 8x10, since I rarely shoot at oblique angles, and the additional height of the 3047 makes it wobble with a heavy camera.

Drew Wiley

John - yes, it is possible to attach the Bogen plate in the wrong position. Thanks for mentioning that. Something won't feel quite right. But there is also an arrow mark on the bottom of it indicating the correct position in the clamp. You also have to be certain the spring bar is completely shut; but that's the case with any analogously designed quick release system.

Try taking the head off and attaching the 8x10 directly to the base top. Can't get any more simple and straightforward than that.

If you don't like it after a good trial sell it off and try something else.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Well, Daniel, as most around here already know, that's my custom - no head at all.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I think the 3047 is rated to something like 16lbs (I have no idea if those ratings are standardized), so many 8x10s won't work with it, and even the lightest are starting to push to the max weight (my general goal is to keep the camera weight to 1/2 the tripod/head capacity.)
    Good advice! Yeah, my 8x10 Deardorff with the 360/6.8 Schneider Symmar-S lens attached was probably pushing that poor 'ole 3047 to its limit. Honestly, I used it for many years without a thought and never noticed any particular issues, but it made sense to get a more robust setup under the camera. So, I threw the pendulum in the other direction... Bought a Ries A100 with the A200 head. That sucker is solid as a rock, but at my age now just way too much tripod to move very far!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4F37DE45-4244-4BA6-B5DC-CD7EE1CD272A.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	219797 Click image for larger version. 

ID:	219797 Click image for larger version. 

ID:	219797Well as it turns out a deal I couldn’t pass up came up on a Ries A100, different league than the Zone VI. Gotta say I used the Zone VI a few times and think it’s a solid tripod, have to see which one I stay with.