Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I Keep water in a JOBO?

Can I Keep water in a JOBO?

I have a JOBO CPP2 and I would like to keep the water bath full in between developing sessions. I run the JOBO about twice a week and I'm wasting a lot of water every time I drain it and then refill it. Is there something I can add to the water to prevent slime from growing? I know that bleach is not advised; I do have a copper compound fungicide I use in our garden—would this be safe? It's listed as copper diammonia diacetate. Or something else??

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Re: Can I Keep water in a JOBO?

I fill mine with RO water and do a complete change about every 6 months. I made a styrofoam cover that lays over the water bath area, notched around the lift, and keep the entire unit covered between session. I've never noticed any slime or buildup of any sort working this way. I used to fill/drain with tap water every time I used it, but that's a real PITA.

I have RO water, that would be easy!

Richard Wasserman

Will the RO water be corrosive on the metal heating element? A couple drops of bleach shouldn’t be too bad long term, just enough to keep the bacteria growth problem down.

I’ve used standard tap water, with a little vinegar splashed in to help keep mineral buildup at bay in the past, and never saw any issue with corrosion on the heating elements, it helped keep them nice and clean. Here in my area our water is relatively hard, lots of calcium.

I didn't realize that vinegar kills algae, although it certainly makes sense. I also have a lot of vinegar and bleach too.

I was hoping for some single definitive answer, but it appears that there are several methods that should work. I just need to pick one...

Richard Wasserman

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    Will the RO water be corrosive on the metal heating element?
    Not sure what would be corrosive causing in RO water, but I can assure you that I've used it for about 15 years in my CPP-2 and my heating element looks as good as the day it was new.

In labs a chemical algaecide is added to the wash tanks. Swimming pool algaecide might be a good alternative.

When I had my CPA-2, I would use double filtered softened well water. Drained and refilled the JOBO on the first of every month. Never had a problem with algae or any kind of buildup. I have heard of using chlorine made for treating hot tubs, but four times more diluted. If I needed to, I'd go the very diluted hot tub chlorine way.

About 5 years ago took my CPP2 apart and cleaned the inner tank. Everything was lined with algae and fungus.
    I gave it a good cleaning and now I empty it with a turkey baster and sponge at the end of every session and the insides still look and smell like new by keeping it dry between runs.

Catlabs recommended draining after 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk