Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    854

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    For car transport...

    When I want to use my Arca-Swiss F-Line as a 4x5, I usually put it in the car assembled. When I want to use it as an 8x10, it goes into the car disassembled and I assemble it when I get to my destination. Assembly only takes a few minutes, and it takes the same amount of time regardless of whether I do it before it goes into the car or after I take it out of the car.
    Right, what I want to know is how do you carry the 8x10 in the car? In box? Case? Flat Case? I'm sure you want to protect it bouncing around and drifting around curves.
    --

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,804

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Right, what I want to know is how do you carry the 8x10 in the car? In box? Case? Flat Case? I'm sure you want to protect it bouncing around and drifting around curves.
    I use a Pelican case, but on occasion I've used a cardboard box I just make sure that the camera is protected enough that it should be OK if I'm in a hypothetical minor car accident.

  3. #13
    http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,569

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    Years back I bought a Calumet W15102 rolling case w/foam from the local Calumet store in San Francisco for the Toyo 810G. The camera stores assembled riding on the short rail with extension rails and focusing cloth on top of the foam. It is an easy fit in the trunk of a Toyota Echo or the larger trunk of a Corolla. I always bring along a 2-wheel dolly that I also got from Calumet for transporting the camera in its case and tripod from the car. Lenses and holders are carried in a backpack although you can leave one lens attached in the case. It's also a good idea to bring a 3-wheel tripod dolly if you plan to be moving around onsite.

    Thomas

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    854

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I use a Pelican case, but on occasion I've used a cardboard box I just make sure that the camera is protected enough that it should be OK if I'm in a hypothetical minor car accident.
    I see. Which model # pelican? Do you use foam or the dividers?
    --

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    854

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Years back I bought a Calumet W15102 rolling case w/foam from the local Calumet store in San Francisco for the Toyo 810G. The camera stores assembled riding on the short rail with extension rails and focusing cloth on top of the foam. It is an easy fit in the trunk of a Toyota Echo or the larger trunk of a Corolla. I always bring along a 2-wheel dolly that I also got from Calumet for transporting the camera in its case and tripod from the car. Lenses and holders are carried in a backpack although you can leave one lens attached in the case. It's also a good idea to bring a 3-wheel tripod dolly if you plan to be moving around onsite.

    Thomas
    I'm using right now, a knobby tire garden cart (Gorilla Carts). I've used a jogging stroller with big wheels. I was thinking a golf caddy, I always see those at Goodwill, to carry my Bogen 3051.
    --

  6. #16

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    8x10 Norma Case 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

    8x10 Norma Case 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

    8x10 Norma Case 3 by Nokton48, on Flickr

    Hey Eric,
    Here is my 8x10 Norma case from Italy. I will re-do the foam pads other than that it is clean and complete
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

    “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    3,977

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    I've had an Arca Swiss Model A, and I keep it in a backpack that's attached to a gold cart. Arcas break down and assemble easily and compactly.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    170

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    This is my bag with the Norma in it. The top doesn't quite close down, but I can slide two film holders in the pocket in the front. The rail the standards are on is a 6in extension rail, underneath the camera is a 12in base rail and a 12in extension. The base rail is a bit too long to leave the camera on it, so I clamps the standards to the short extension, then when I pull it out, I loosen everything, attach the base rail, maybe the 12in extension. (in this photo the tripod mount is not on, but it fits between the two standards.)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0531.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	219522

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    170

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    Are there different length pleated bellows standard for the Norma? I ask because in my picture above, that is as compressed as the bellows will go. I ask because in the instructions posted above it says to leave the bellows attached to the front standard and fold the standard horizontal, but I can't get mine to even 45 degrees with the bellows still attached.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,804

    Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

    Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I see. Which model # pelican? Do you use foam or the dividers?
    I have a number of Pelican and Nanuk cases that I use for various purposes, none dedicated to my Arca-Swiss. I've transported the camera on the rear rack of my motorcycle, which calls for a different case than what I'd use for the car. The Nanuk cases are less expensive (often on sale from B&H) and in my view just as good.

    I think that the dividers are probably a good idea for some purposes, but I don't have any. When it comes to protection, I'll use whatever seems to work, from styrofoam to towels.

    I agree with Neil Poulsen's comment (post #17): "Arcas break down and assemble easily and compactly."

    Sorry, I'm not very scientific or methodical about this, but one could easily rig a dedicated Pelican or Nanuk case for a monorail, at least for an Arca-Swiss. Then, I think the main question would be whether one wants to use a case with wheels.

Similar Threads

  1. cambo legend 4x5 & 8x10 monorails interchangeable?
    By kasperkane in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2012, 10:11
  2. Carrying/travel solution for Cambo 8x10 or B&J grover 8x10?
    By Ilford4ever in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2012, 07:23
  3. Carrying 8x10 holders
    By Philippe Grunchec in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-Jun-2009, 12:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •