Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

Those of you packing up your monorail and onto your Dodge Minivan, do you guys break it completely apart? Like front/rear standards off, rails off, bellows off, and then put it back together when you get somewhere? Or kinda keep it together and put it in a big 'ol box.

I used to have a 4x5 monorail with a case on it is suspended upsidedown in it and resting on the rails. That was pretty nice. I don't think 8x10's have cases that large
    --

Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

I’m still trying to figure that out. While there are big bags, few are big in the right places. I have an old Tamrac bag that came with my Technikardan, and if I pull all the dividers I can barely fit the Norma 8x10 on a 6 inch rail (just to keep the parts from flopping around.). It’s quick to reassemble, so packing it off the rail wouldn’t be that bad, but in this case I’m more worried about things banging into each other and breaking the glass, but in the case of this bag the dividers wouldn’t really help. If your camera doesn’t have short rails that will make keeping it together harder because it will make the shape very awkward.

Sinar 8x10 Norma. Folded up upon itself and rests inside an old OEM Sinar case. Unfolding takes under 30 seconds. Folding the camera upon itself per Sinar's illustration (image attached) takes time to master. After probably 20 times folding the camera upon itself, I finally got it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8x10Normaincase.jpg  

I got a custom box for you

I bought an 8X10 P rig with 3 lens packed securely for world travel including the country stickers

The all 1/2" plywood custom made weighs a lot, I kept the case and lenses when I sold the P

No damage to the P at all
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Sinar 8x10 Norma. Folded up upon itself and rests inside an old OEM Sinar case. Unfolding takes under 30 seconds. Folding the camera upon itself per Sinar's illustration (image attached) takes time to master. After probably 20 times folding the camera upon itself, I finally got it.
    That's sweet setup. But I like the circa Cold War style art work!
    --

I -just- got one of the original Sinar Norma 8x10 cases. It arrived from Italy and some smart gentlemen kept it in immaculate like new condition. It cost $100 and $90 to ship. What got me to pull the trigger, is that the original cloth straps and in-pieces are perfect. I have never seen one in such good condition. Usually they are Butt Ugly condition. So it goes into my Sinar Norma Museum studio LOL

Worth every penny. Holds a complete 8x10 Norma system. I'm going to take a picture. BTW I always carried around the 4x5 Norma fibre case with a very well padded strap.

Kept everything clean and super organized in very dirty conditions. It's not as heavy as you might think and I know this from decades of direct experience.

Mat Marash at Midwest Photo recently sold me recently a restorable 8x10 Upgrade Sinar Norma Case. Holds what you need to upsize the Norma from 4x5 to 8x10
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I -just- got one of the original Sinar Norma 8x10 cases. It arrived from Italy and some smart gentlemen kept it in immaculate like new condition. It cost $100 and $90 to ship. What got me to pull the trigger, is that the original cloth straps and in-pieces are perfect. I have never seen one in such good condition. Usually they are Butt Ugly condition. So it goes into my Sinar Norma Museum studio LOL

Worth every penny. Holds a complete 8x10 Norma system. I'm going to take a picture. BTW I always carried around the 4x5 Norma fibre case with a very well padded strap.

Kept everything clean and super organized in very dirty conditions. It's not as heavy as you might think and I know this from decades of direct experience.

Mat Marash at Midwest Photo recently sold me recently a restorable 8x10 Upgrade Sinar Norma Case. Holds what you need to upsize the Norma from 4x5 to 8x10
    This is amazing! Yes let's see that photo!

I was thinking like a giant plastic crate from Home Depot, and a lot of eggshell foam stuff.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I’ve tried for several hours with different positions but mine simply will not do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Holds a complete 8x10 Norma system.
    Addendum: I am currently figuring out how to modify my OEM vintage case to hold an 8x10 Sinar Norma on a shortened rail and thus fully ready to be mounted on a tripod head. Seems quite possible. Will post images if I succeed. As far as the weight goes, to me it is directly dependent on the lenses that I put inside the case. For a fully loaded case, I use a rolling fold up wheeled luggage cart.

For car transport...

When I want to use my Arca-Swiss F-Line as a 4x5, I usually put it in the car assembled. When I want to use it as an 8x10, it goes into the car disassembled and I assemble it when I get to my destination. Assembly only takes a few minutes, and it takes the same amount of time regardless of whether I do it before it goes into the car or after I take it out of the car.