Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

Re: Question for those who have 8x10 monorails...carrying....

For my 5 x 7 Kardan Bi I had a machine shop cut town one of the rail sections so it was just long enough to hold the front and rear standards with enough space between them to insert in the rail clamp and a few mm of rail protruding. So the camera was always fully set up and ready. Mount on the tripod, screw on the other rail elements and go. I found a rectangular aluminum case that was deep enough to store the camera resting on the film back and drilled a couple of blocks of plywood just large enough for the ends of the rail to house in the blocks. Used the case for years - I can take a photo later this week when they let me go home from the hospital.

Jim, thanks, would appreciate the photo. I was at Home Depot today to find a 3/8-16 nut for my Gitzo. I saw this tool case. I know a photog who actually uses these for lights, gear, and cameras in cases. Was thinking maybe foam or something like you described, kinda like the old metal cases were desiged. Or I can just foam it up somehow inside. I like the bigger wheels on these

--

Arca-Swiss

The Arca can be collapsed on a 6"or 15cm rail and slid out of the connecting bracket and put in a case or back pack. I carry my 8x10 this way using a 15cm, 40cm and 40cm bracket.
    Any Arca-Swiss camera can be collapsed onto a 15cm rail.
    The connecting bracket could go into a tube case on the side of the back pack or in a case. John Stone at Stone Photo gear makes cases for the Arca-Swiss
    Connecting bracket and rail. He makes customer things as well. Stonephotogear.com

Also any Arca-Swiss can be mounted on the current Arca-Swiss monorail II rails.

Hope this helps.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Klukas View Post
    The Arca can be collapsed on a 6"or 15cm rail and slid out of the connecting bracket and put in a case or back pack. I carry my 8x10 this way using a 15cm, 40cm and 40cm bracket.
    Any Arca-Swiss camera can be collapsed onto a 15cm rail.
    The connecting bracket could go into a tube case on the side of the back pack or in a case. John Stone at Stone Photo gear makes cases for the Arca-Swiss
    Connecting bracket and rail. He makes customer things as well. Stonephotogear.com

Also any Arca-Swiss can be mounted on the current Arca-Swiss monorail II rails.

Hope this helps.

Rod
    Thank you that did help. So the trick is to have the short rail on it. Do you remove the bellows? Looks like mine, from the BOTTOM of the rail, to the top of the camera is 21" so I'll need a case that is about at least 21" in height. Then I can get some foam stuff to wrap it around in. You guys bring out the McGuyver in me! Or the Rube Goldberg...whichever works.
    --

I may try that Rigid 22 from Home Depot this weekend. It looks like the height will fit but barely. I can probably tilt it a little bit and for sure it'll fit, and get some foam to wrap it up. I"m sure my broomstick of a rail will fit in there too. I do know a digital photographer who uses these.

The middle tier one that fits on top of this, can house the lenses, meters, 12" long Subway Meatball sandwich, masking tape, and a few holders. This way I'll just walk around looking like I have $20,000 worth of tools instead of a $1,000 camera.

If it doesn't fit, I can return it, literally 2 blocks away.
    --