Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Tripod for Sinar Norma Inspired by Julius Shulman

Re: Lightweight Tripod for Sinar Norma Inspired by Julius Shulman

Two Marchioni Tiltall Mods by Nokton48, on Flickr

On the right is one of my 4x5 Normas with recessed Norma board and 47mm F8 Schneider Super Angulon focused very very close up. In the back of one of my 5x7 Normas with original Norma Bellows and 360mm barrel chrome Componon on a flat Sinar Norma board. Both Marchioni Tiltalls have been modded to match the ones in Julius Shulman's book "Photographing Architecture and Interiors". I acquired this book in 1991

I have a friend in NYC who said he will go dumpster diving if he sees any of these, and send them to me. Nice Guy!
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 3-Oct-2021 at 09:28.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

My widest LF lens, the chrome 47mm F8 Super Angulon in Compur shutter, see above right ^^^^ Mounted on an original Sinar Norma Recessed Lensboard. Tim Kelly lighting, extreme close-up, lens less than a foot away from my test target. Three Broncolor Pulso C171 Monolights plus fill panel, HP5+ 4x5 (in Linhof Plate Holder) D:23 1;1 in 8x10 Unicolor Unidrum and Uniroller. 8x10 4X print Arista #2 RC Multigrade dev Omega DII laser aligned 180 black Rodagon Omegalite Diffusion Head

In close up mode this lens -almost- covers 4x5. You can see that in the four corners of this shot

47mm F8 F32 4x5 Norma HP5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I can lift and move this camera easily with one hand without straining; I am really digging these new lighter weight Marchioni tripods

― Mark Twain

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is my all Sinar Norma Parts "Shorty" 4x5. Tripod inspired by and copied from Julius Shulman's famous book on "Architecural Photography Inside And Out". When I was young i studied this book intensely. The tripod is super lightweight, vibrates a teeny tiny bit, but settles down quickly. I can lift and carry it as is with one hand. With a small soft bag for holders and stuff it's good for outside use. As a 2x3 camera with wind knob Graflex backs it is even more lightweight. So this will be getting some use in the future as I seek a lighter load with Normas.

The Norma Rubber Hood and Monocular are excellent for viewing. The lens is a new to me 75mm f5.6 Norma barrel mount auto-iris, with silvery Center Filter III.

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Tiltalls were nice, and were quite popular with pros on a budget. I inherited my brother's, but it was almost completely worn out by then. Alas, for a long lens addict like me working in windy places, they just don't do the trick. My routine Sianr rail setup in 18 inches long (sectional, of course, in case I do need to either shorten it or lengthen it even further.).

Drew,
    I had a battered Norma Basic Rail missing some parts. I carefully measured what I needed with wider lenses I own, then cut down both ends with my Lil Machine Shop Electric Bandsaw. So essentially a solid one piece hollow tube exactly the length I need from 47mm to 150mm. Anything longer I go to other Normas. They are versatile and available. Works well with wide 4x5 and 2x3, being lightweight. Baseplate upgrade is worth doing IMO

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

I have all kinds of components myself - P, F, Norma - enough to reconstitute entire field cameras I once wore out. But they just sit there in storage. On a daily basis, I stick with the Norma; it's my favorite. But since nearly everything in interchangeable, the ability to mix n' match of components is a wonderful feature.

Julius Shulman inspired modified Leitz Tiltall model one, heavy aluminium machined block bolted to center column. Camera locked down with 9/16" closed end wrench. Rock solid light as a feather. Uber solid medium format monorail technical camera. With the Sony E series mirrorless attached to a flat board, I have a "poor man's digital mini-me view camera system". So far I have ten of the original lenses ready to test. Four have been freshly overhauled by Camtronics. The Monocular Viewer swivels left and right to see the groundglass uber clear magnified with fresnel, can easily assess sharpness critically with this setup. This back is matched to original 6x9cm and 6x6cm Plaubel Makina 120 Backs, which I have been using all along in my two Makinas II and IIIR. So rolls get finished up and move around, these are a bit finicky to use, but doable and gets easy to do with time. Also fifty 6x9cm Plaubel Sheet and Glass Plate holders. Add Sony digital and it's pretty versatile for cheap money

― Mark Twain

Using Brass Hobby Modeling Screws I bolted a Plaubel 120x120 Adapter Board, to a Sinar Norma Uber Heavy Metal Homemade Machined Norma Board (heavily used) LOL. Always wondered what I would ever do with this thing LOL. So now all my Plaubel Junior mounted boards fit onto the Norma, which I can go up to 8x10, although with these 4x5 will do it nicely. This is the Schneider 135mm F3.8 Schneider Xenar, a not often seen lens, in the F3.8 version. Great to look through on the 4x5 Norma. The tripod is Shulman-inspired Leica Tiltall, modded with aluminum block. This tripod is in Shulman's books on Architecture and Interiors, which I studied intensely back in the Eighties.

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

I inherited a tripod just like that, but it had been so heavily used that most of the threads were stripped, so I never put it into use myself.

8x10 Sinar Norma Julius Shulman Titlall Setup 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This setup is right out of Julius Shulman's Books on Architectural and Interior Photography. As I get older I start to realize how useful this rig is, I can carry it around with one hand. (Although it's a workout but worth it). I see now why he did this, it's obvious to this user. Carry one lens and a pouch of 8x10 holders and you are golden. Although this attracts a LOT of attention. LOL Shown with my prize 121mm Auto Iris Compur F8 Norma Super Angulon. Just covers 18x24cm focused to hyperfocal distance. 8x10 TTL Norma Sinarsix saves expensive sheet film. Norma Bag Bellows and Monocular is my preferred way to view.

― Mark Twain