Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can someone please give me an overview

Re: Can someone please give me an overview

Scott... there are a few of us here in Tucson who partake of wetplate photography... Mark Sawyer and I are a couple of such. We usually meet for coffee every Monday morning at Savaya on the corner of Fort Lowell and Swan at 10:00am. If you are free you are welcome to join us. If you aren't free on Monday morns, you can contact me and maybe we can meet for coffee or such at a different time.

gene

Arcaholic

Gene, thanks for the invite! I'll PM you.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
    Thanks Hugo, r.e., and Paul...

It's clearer now with these explanations, but I'm still confused why some **cameras** are billed as wet plate cameras, instead of just the holders.

This is "marketing" by the seller. Pretty much none of the cameras you see on ebay are from the wet plate era. Almost all were actually designed to mostly shoot film and maybe dry plates. I shoot wet plate with a Kodak 2D 8x10 that was made well into the film era, a Gundlach Korona 5x7 that was made around the end of the dry plate era, and a Chamonix 4x5 that's very modern and made around 2008. I shoot film, dry plate, wet plate in all of these cameras. The whole thing is the holder. You can only shoot film in a film holder. You can only shoot dry plate or film (with a film "adapter) in a dry plate holder. You can shoot wet plate most easily in a wet plate holder, or dry plates one at a time. Could also probably shoot film in a wet plate holder one at a time with an adapter (film sheath) but it would be a hassle. I suggest buying a dedicated wet plate holder if you want to shoot wet plate and maybe some dry plates.

As for shooting 4x5 in a 5x7 wet plate holder, you need an adapter that fills in the empty space around the 4x5 plate. This is called an "insert". It fits snugly in the 5x7 space but has an opening for a 4x5 plate. Or, think of a picture frame that is 11x14 but has an 8x10 photo in it, with a wide matt all around to fill in the gap. Think of the matt as an "insert."

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Arcaholic

Thanks, Kent!