Thread: Dynalite Infrared Transmitter

Dynalite Infrared Transmitter

Dynalite is now Defunctalite. It's a shame. They're tireless workhorses. And they're versatile.

I've just thrown my lens cap back into the ring after a long hiatus (15 years) from commercial & editorial shooting. I gave some of my cameras and all of my lights away to my erstwhile photo assistants. Now that I'm back in the saddle (to mix metaphors) I just bought a used, good-as-new Dynalite lighting system because that's what I used for decades before. But I'd never used a Dynalite IRT-1 transmitter that came with the M2000wi and the M1000xr packs I now have, thanks to eBay. Does anyone out there have any experience troubleshooting this combo? I can't get them them to play nice with the transmitter. Incidentally, I'm shooting a Hasselblad CFV II 50C with an EL/X and a Cambo Actus.

Re: Dynalite Infrared Transmitter

Dynalite two channel IR transmitters were supplied by Wein Products Corp. The switch on the pack should be set to the correct IR position. I used a Wein Pro Sync on channel one with a 1000wi with no problem. There is no learning procedure as with the Pocket Wizard radios on later Dynalite packs. Dynalite went to radios instead of IR because new digital cameras put out a lot of IR for focusing, and this would interfere with the coded IR pulses from the Pro Sync.

Dynalite repairs are now available at the same New Jersey location as the original factory, by the former lead technician.

Call John at 908 209 2485
    or email him azoreselectronics.dl@gmail.com

Sorry to hear about Dynalite. I have their system but put it aside when I went to Quantum flashes.

I used Dynalites for many years as well, in a commercial setting. They weren't fail-proof, but they were usually reliable.
    The weak link was always the transmitter, I found. Not as reliable as a Wein, even though made by Wein. Go figure.
    Once in a while the M1000x pack would stop firing.

I went with Profoto for several years, and never had a problem, but even older Profotos tie up a lot of money.
    Finally settled on Godox and the terrific XPro transmitter, and couldn't be happier.
    I no longer need 2000 w/s, so I have two 200w/s heads and a third 100 w/s head.
    Everything, including on-flash modifiers, chargers, batteries and gels fits in a small Pelican and it all cost under $1k.

Dynalite went to Pocket Wizzard radio because so many new cameras were using IR pulses for focus and other features which would interfere with the Wein IR sync pulse. Prior to this development, Wein Pro Sync was the best performing remote system by far.

Thank you, Neal. This is invaluable info.

Dynalite repairs are now available at the same New Jersey location as the original factory, by the former lead technician.

Call John at 908 209 2485
    or email him azoreselectronics.dl@gmail.com

I don't know if this helps or not, but I always use Pocket Wizards with my Dynalites. Works day in and day out. If you can't get the IR transmitter setup working consider Pocket Wizards. Work on any pack with a sync connection.

Thanks, Brian. I used DynaLite commercially under heavy shooting circumstances, in the studio and on location, for 30 years. I've synced, slaved, infra-red-ed, radio-ed, Weined, PocketWizard-ed and used all but the Dynalite IRT-1. My initial inquiry was simply to see if anyone had any experience with that unit specifically, since one of them came with a used pack I'd bought recently. Anyway, I prefer the good ol' dependability of the gazillions of sync cords I have. Cheers!