Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film on a Plane: Check It or Carry-On?

Film on a Plane: Check It or Carry-On?

Planning a trip to Colorado in Oct. Last outing was to Santa Fe in Feb of 2019, just before the world changed.

Only taking the 4x5 outfit this time. I am planning to bring along some Tri-X and some Ektachrome 100.

Havent flown with film for five years or so at this point. My question is:

Should I put the boxed film into checked luggage, or put it into my carry-on bag with the camera and other gear?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: Film on a Plane: Check It or Carry-On?

Carry on and ask for a hand check - leave film in box and have a developed piece out to show them so they do not try to open the box. TSA is aware scanners will damage film but there are alot of people who do not know that film comes larger than 135. I also have a lead bag but have not tried to fly with it yet.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I also have a lead bag but have not tried to fly with it yet.
    Don't know if this is true, but I've heard that if they can't see what's inside the bag they will crank the power; obviously not good for film. Is it possible to ship film to your destination or buy it there? Otherwise, hand check as stated above your best option.

So the recommendation is to carry it on, but ask that it not go through the X-Ray machine?

I asked for a hand check of a sealed box of Tri-X back in 2011. Told them what was in it and how it was packaged. Told them it could only be opened in total darkness. Offered my changing bag (declined). They took my box away, opened it and opened the packaging inside too. Only found that out when loading film holders at our destination days later. Shot as few anyway. Each sheet was fogged or exposed about 20% deep along one edge.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Carry on and let them scan it. This has worked for me for years with no problems, sheet and roll film, international and domestic travel.

New machines will fog your film. Make sure that the airports you go to do not have them before you put the film through.

Kinda wish there could be a mechanism in place...like a background check plus fee - which would give the "subscriber" a certificate to allow film to bypass anything that may cause it harm. Isn't there a TSA Pre-Check "subscription" set up in just this way? Just wonderin!"

Bad Airport machines are called 3D scanners.

the new machines are actually CT scanners. As I understand it, they take focused Xray shots is "slices" across the length of the packaging. So instead of getting one dose of xrays, they might get a hundred.

In the US you have the right to ask for a hand inspection, and every time I've asked it was performed in front of me. They swab every box and run the swab through a detector of some kind (I assume looking for explosive residue of some kind.) I was once flying with ~36 rolls of 35m, and they swabbed each one. I'd bring new boxes of film and leave the factory seal in place, so if they take it to another room and open it, you'll know. I've never had that problem though. Also show up early and be friendly--they have thankless jobs, and generally respond well to deference and courtesy. Also, pack you film in a separate, transparent bag so you can pull that out for the hand inspection and not force them to go through your laundry too. I was in a massive throng of people trying to get through security at JFK, and they were still nice and professional when I asked for a hand inspection.

The 3D scanners are being used for carry-on bags now? Where we all stand in long lines . . .tat part of security?

Retired now, but I used to do diagnostic imaging with isotopes called Nuc-Med.. If you ever had a treadmill test with a shot asnd pictures later . . .that is Nuc-Med. We shared a darkroom with the X-Ray Dept. I understand the CT process. CT machines shoot an X-Ray beam through the patient multiple times from many angles. Then the data gets processed into a 3D body of volume cells which can be sliced up about any way they want.

Well Durn! Hand checked it is then.

Thanks all.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com