Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Large Format Channels on YouTube

Re: Large Format Channels on YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I really enjoyed this one.

Roger
    I get a smile every time that I watch one of Ari Jaaksi's videos. There's quite a lot of information about him on the internet. He's not quite the simple man that he comes across as on his YouTube channel. His Linked-in profile is impressive. He has a doctorate and teaches Information Technology at the university level, having decided five years ago that he'd had enough of the corporate world. He's held senior positions in Europe and the U.S. at Nokia, Mozilla, Hewlett-Packard and Intel.

Ilford Photo has a profile of Jaaksi on its website: https://www.ilfordphoto.com/in-focus-ari-jaaksi/.
    Last edited by r.e.; 17-Jul-2022 at 14:39.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

I've been maintaining this thread for the last year but won't be after today. Please contact Oren Grad if you're willing to maintain it going forward. He will have to change editing access to post #1.

Whoever takes over maintenance of the thread, assuming that someone does, may or may not share the approach that I've adopted, but here's how I've been doing it.

I check YouTube every couple of weeks for new channels that should be considered for addition to the list in post #1. In some cases, I find out about a channel via a personal message from a participant in this forum or from a post to the forum that refers to a channel that I'm unaware of. I should note that there are people with YouTube channels who either don't understand the relationship between search and keywords or who don't care. There are channels on the list in post #1 that do not show up on a YouTube search for typical phrases such as "large format photography". YouTube search also has a user language bias (in my case English) that I think is helpful to be aware of when looking for new channels.

I add channels that I think will have significant large format content over time. I take a wait and see position if the channel is new, or its large format content is new, and has only a few large format videos. I've made a point of being neutral about channel language. In some cases this has meant making a decision without understanding the spoken content, but using a translator on written content. There's one channel that has large format content only occasionally, but the channel has a relatively large number of subscribers and the person who runs it has been quite influential in the film "revival", especially among young people. In other words, there's no hard and fast rule for inclusion.

I haven't treated the list of channels as archival, instead only including channels that are active and look like they'll continue to be going forward. To take an example, I haven't included Fred Newman (View Camera Store), who hasn't uploaded a video to YouTube for several years. It's been almost a year since the list was first created, and this might be a good time to check each of the channels and delete any that have gone dormant on large format content.

The decision whether to add a channel, and writing the profile, can be fairly quick, but not always. Sometimes it takes a couple of hours of watching a channel's videos, researching the person behind the channel and writing the profile.

When I decide to include a channel, I post information on the channel and add it to the list in post #1. For the list, I replace the long form URL with the channel name using standard HTML coding. There are many internet sites that show how this is done. This is a good time to thank @Dan6077 again for doing the coding for the initial channel list.

If you might be interested in maintaining the thread from here, but have a question that you think I might be able to answer, send me a personal message.

Cheers
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Aug-2022 at 21:16.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Wow, that's a solid roundup of large format channels! Love seeing so much dedication to the craft all in one place. By the way, since we're on the topic of sharing cool stuff, I've been getting more into video editing lately, thanks to seeing all these creators doing their thing. Found this super straightforward video editor for mac that's been an absolute lifesaver. It's perfect for anyone looking to splice up their own photography videos or jazz them up a bit.
    Last edited by maltfalc; 8-Apr-2024 at 10:25.