Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Facebook Group on 19th Century Lenses

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Facebook Group on 19th Century Lenses

I seem to often miss the intent and point of your questions/posts, Bernice. Don’t let that stop you though.

We are good Brian, no issues. Reasons to post more and clarifications on what was previously posted.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I seem to often miss the intent and point of your questions/posts, Bernice. Don’t let that stop you though.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    That is correct - I pay no attention to such content.
    There's equally nothing preventing someone from ignoring disinformation, and political views that one finds obnoxious, on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.

Personally, I don't ignore it. I became interested in these issues when I was living in Paris and Jean-Marie Le Pen, to the astonishment of commentators, got enough votes to face Jacques Chirac in a runoff for the Presidency. In Paris alone, half a million people showed up to demonstrate against Le Pen and what he stood for. Nobody in my circle was a Chirac supporter, but they all showed up to vote for him, which helps explain why he won with over 82% of the vote.

On today's social media, the Tommy Robinsons of the world get the attention, but they're ham-fisted losers. There are more subtle, sophisticated operators, such as the people that I mention in post #13. Those people are the attractive faces of a superficially attractive international movement, now mostly, but not entirely, banned from the main platforms.

I'm not about to boycott the social media platforms over those people - indeed, I want to know what they're saying - any more than I'm going to boycott this forum because of The Lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHarrison View Post
    I just started a new group with the primary focus being 19th Century lenses. Join at this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/528153364957429/
    I'm not and won't become a user of facebook
    pity the info isn't shared in this forum ...

My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    I'm not and won't become a user of facebook
    pity the info isn't shared in this forum ...
    "Information wants to be free"

But on Facebook, this information is hidden behind a membership wall. Fortunately it doesn't work that way HERE.

Facebook membership is free.

Facebook membership is free.
    But the group's information is locked behind a membership wall, so its not publicly available in the way it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsydog View Post
    Free in the dollar aspect maybe, but you pay in so many other both hidden and obvious ways.
    The price of participating in Facebook is too steep for many people. Its not a benign environment: the goal is to harvest information and monetize it.

Well, those are personal choices.

Regarding the content… it’s interesting but if you don’t know what you’re missing I don’t know why there are noses bent out of shape.

Well, those are personal choices.

Regarding the content… it’s interesting but if you don’t know what you’re missing I don’t know why there are noses bent out of shape.
    I object to the siphoning of interest from open forums like this one, into the abyss that is Facebook, where information is not easily searchable, nor is it properly archived. I've seen Facebook absorb entire online communities, leaving many forums I used to participate in abandoned and empty. I resent the pursuit of "ease + volume" over quality.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I object to the siphoning of interest from open forums like this one, into the abyss that is Facebook, where information is not easily searchable, nor is it properly archived. I've seen Facebook absorb entire online communities, leaving many forums I used to participate in abandoned and empty. I resent the pursuit of "ease + volume" over quality.
    One day you might want to join the 21st century. Old fashioned forums and the like are dinosaurs.

There are a lot of changes I didn’t like but adapted and accepted. Facebook is what you make of it. Nobody forces you to make friends or join groups. And if you do but change your mind… it’s relatively easy to unfriend and ungroup.

Other changes I choose not to make… sometimes it feels like too much. For me the hassle is learning new ways. Lots of new stuff to learn. I like learning so it’s all good. Personal choices…

So you know what you don’t know you’re missing… it’s really only been pictures of old lenses.