Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kirk Tuck commenting on 4x5 video blog

Re: Kirk Tuck commenting on 4x5 video blog

Kirk is OK. I've been reading his blog for several years. He's a working pro, gone full digital now, but has a past in film and LF up to at least 4x5. I enjoy some of his writing. His non-commercial portraits are nice. He's doing video production at times for clients these days, and I usually skip over those stories.

Brownstone makes it pretty clear he doesn't want to Schlep and Futz. I lost count. OK Fine. Move on.

Quote Originally Posted by mike rosenlof View Post
    Kirk is OK. I've been reading his blog for several years. He's a working pro, gone full digital now, but has a past in film and LF up to at least 4x5. I enjoy some of his writing. His non-commercial portraits are nice. He's doing video production at times for clients these days, and I usually skip over those stories.

Brownstone makes it pretty clear he doesn't want to Schlep and Futz. I lost count. OK Fine. Move on.
    No, it's not OK.

Your pal Tuck is exactly what analogue photography, which according to you he doesn't even do, doesn't need. I think it's fair to assume that Tuck spent ten minutes on Google finding out who Hugh Brownstone is, and his history, before he decided to spend hours writing an attack on him. Brownstone was a convenient straw man for an exercise in bile. In the process, Tuck demonstrated a couple of things. He's an arrogant dipstick and knows nothing about YouTube. He's an out of touch old man, stuck in his obsolete "Google Blogger" world, lashing out.

Rather more constructively, we have professionals like Todd Korol on YouTube who live in the 21st century, have constructive things to show and say about large format photography and know how to make videos. The fact that Tuck ignored Korol, and instead linked videos by people whose understanding of video making is rudimentary, just underscores the fact that either Tuck's agenda is destructive or he's just plain ignorant.
    Last edited by r.e.; 3-Sep-2021 at 04:18.

This is Todd Korol shooting 5x7 last winter, during the pandemic, in the Canadian Rockies. Just one of his videos. On YouTube. It raises the question, who the hell does Kirk Tuck think he is? For that matter, it raises the same question about the few people in this thread who buy into Tuck's attack on his real target, which is YouTube, using small-time commercial YouTuber Hugh Brownstone as the fall guy.

Here's an idea for Tuck. Go after Korol, or better yet his fellow Canadian YouTuber Pete McKinnon. McKinnon would be the guy who, with 5.5 million subscribers, probably has had more views of one of his videos in, say, an hour and 13 minutes, than Tuck has had of his blog profile (see post #2) in 13 years.

Last edited by r.e.; 3-Sep-2021 at 04:22.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    The conclusion of the blog post sums up what this guy is about:

"I do agree that learning to work with a view camera in 2021 is just silly. Especially for a flighty dilettante."

"Best that the V-Logger class stick with stuff that is automated. It's less embarrassing for everyone. If you aren't willing to put in the time and effort you're just wasting your own money and everyone else's time."

Along the way, his contempt for YouTube is barely disguised, as is his propensity for sticking his nose in the air while looking down at others.

He gets points for doing a great job of trying to turn people off large format photography.

Quite something from a guy who's had a grand total of 27,496 views of his blog profile in 13 years.

This was particularly amusing:

"He's shooting film and then sending it to a lab for processing, and to someone else for scanning. But all the magic, all the stuff that makes a difference between all the other formats and large format, happens in the interpretive stages of darkroom work. You gotta get your hands wet."

I guess we can dismiss all those iconic photographers who didn't do their own processing and printing as "flighty dilettantes" who didn't know what they were doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    I would have thought that people who use the internet would know what a blog profile is. Such as Kirk Tuck's in the screen capture below. The one where he says that he's been on Blogger for 13 years and that his profile has had 27,503 views, up 7 from yesterday no doubt due to this thread. It's the bio that people look at if they're interested enough in the content to find out who's doing the writing. Which is why the link to it is prominently displayed at the top right of the blog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-03 at 7.32.07 AM.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	219287

I missed that.

So the number of profile views is somehow significant?

But the number of people reading his blog isn't significant?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    I missed that.

So the number of profile views is somehow significant?

But the number of people reading his blog isn't significant?
    You want to know if a writer's bio is significant? Really? People who design platforms like this are dealing with a competition for space and spend a lot of time ranking what's important and what isn't. The bio link is prominently displayed on the top right of the page precisely because it's significant. It's where the author says who he is and invites engagement to related sites, in his case to Tuck's website. Lack of interest in who the person is who's doing the writing says that engagement is low, and hits on a web page don't tell you about actual readership and engagement.

This is web design 101. Do you have anything to say about the substantive issues in this thread? You want to defend Tuck's mean-spirited, vicious attack on Hugh Brownstone, who was identified in short order as Tuck no doubt knew, or should have known, he would be?

I think that Tuck knew exactly what he was doing. I also know that a few minutes on Google will get you Brownstone's entire history going back to college. Here's a hint. Start with his detailed LinkedIn page. Want to know Brownstone's actual credits as a filmmaker? Less than a minute on his website and you've got them. I would think that Tuck had the history before he sat down to write his attack.

This was a drive-by shooting of a guy who's maybe a bit of a Walter Mitty figure who uploads long monologues to YouTube in which he shares his views on filmmaking and photography. On YouTube, he's a distinctive but minor figure. No doubt Tuck saw him as an easy target.

Brownstone didn't deserve this.
    Last edited by r.e.; 3-Sep-2021 at 07:24.

Is it possible the member called Hugh is the Hugh Brownstone of the video?

I watched the video and didn't see anything worth getting upset about.

The tone of the blog seems sad and bitter.

Storm in a teacup really....

Social media and all related has given voice to any individual that can cultivate an audience of followers. This plays into the mirror of hearing and seeing what an individual wants to hear and see, then finding-discovering some form of publication media to support what they want to hear and see.

~Cognitive Bias and more applies here.

What much of youtube and related social media has become, cultivate and grow and following as a means to fame and fortune. There are personality types that are drawn to and driven by the need of a group-audience-cult of followers. Other personality types have about zero interest in any of that, instead they go about doing what they do without the need for any of that kind of attention. Sadly, it is those who are the most vocal that tends to attract a significant group-audience-cult of followers..

IMO, ignore then move along as this is just another opinion broadcasted on the web. Ponder what value does this broadcast really have or it's root intent?

Bernice
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 3-Sep-2021 at 12:13.

There’s as much bile in this thread as in any of the blogs and videos being discussed.

Let’s set a higher standard.

Rick “Drew has this right: make photos” Denney