Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kirk Tuck commenting on 4x5 video blog

Re: Kirk Tuck commenting on 4x5 video blog

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    There’s as much bile in this thread as in any of the blogs and videos being discussed.

Let’s set a higher standard.

Rick “Drew has this right: make photos” Denney
    Yes... It's like a drunk bunch is talking sh** about photographers not in their presence/style, and somehow the rest of us arrived at the party after the good stuff is all gone. It's not a high standard of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    There’s as much bile in this thread as in any of the blogs and videos being discussed.

Let’s set a higher standard.
    There was one blog discussed, not blogs. There were two videos discussed - one by the victim of the blog, and one by Todd Korol - and there is nothing in either video that could even remotely be characterised as bile.

I wrote posts in this thread that are highly critical of the blog's undeserved, mean-spirited attack on a person whose crime is that he's a bit of a character and a photography enthusiast who makes YouTube videos. It appears that those posts aren't up to your standards, so much so that you feel the need, a week after the last activity in the thread, to revive it and say so. As it happens, I'm not feeling the least bit repentant. You have the authority to remove the posts and/or ban me as the person who wrote them. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

If you like, the forum could be left with just the original post, characterising the blog's attack on Hugh Brownstone as "interesting" and "funny" and Brownstone as "sad". It could then be followed by posts joining in on the attack on YouTube in general and Brownstone in particular. Reflecting, of course, your higher standard. You could even help demonstrate why this forum often seems to be a relic of the last century.

When I saw that this thread was about social media arguing between 2 or more people I usually ignore it. It is past time to lock this unproductive and reductive thread.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    When I saw that this thread was about social media arguing between 2 or more people I usually ignore it. It is past time to lock this unproductive and reductive thread.
    This thread was started for the very purpose of discussing, or rather bashing, social media.

The substantive discussion ended a week ago. @rdenney decided to revive it, which is the sole reason that there are new posts.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    The conclusion of the blog post sums up what this guy is about:

"I do agree that learning to work with a view camera in 2021 is just silly. Especially for a flighty dilettante."

"Best that the V-Logger class stick with stuff that is automated. It's less embarrassing for everyone. If you aren't willing to put in the time and effort you're just wasting your own money and everyone else's time."

Along the way, his contempt for YouTube is barely disguised, as is his propensity for sticking his nose in the air while looking down at others.

He gets points for doing a great job of trying to turn people off large format photography.

Quite something from a guy who's had a grand total of 27,496 views of his blog profile in 13 years.

This was particularly amusing:

"He's shooting film and then sending it to a lab for processing, and to someone else for scanning. But all the magic, all the stuff that makes a difference between all the other formats and large format, happens in the interpretive stages of darkroom work. You gotta get your hands wet."

I guess we can dismiss all those iconic photographers who didn't do their own processing and printing as "flighty dilettantes" who didn't know what they were doing.
    I cannot have a darkroom so I'm stuck sending film out for developing. But I can still "interpret" the pictures using Lightroom, a digital darkroom.