Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Elinchrom 404, Rebuild

Re: Elinchrom 404, Rebuild

Broncolor Pulso 606 6000ws head 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Fifteen years ago I walked into Midwest Photo on High Street on a Saturday, and they had: two Broncolor 606 220V power packs 6000ws each. And four Pulso 606 heads that can each handle 6000ws. Here is one of them. And a 6000ws Pulso Hazylight head, complete with diffuser and grid screen as well. Hazylight was mounted on a crane-like Matthews Tripod Rolling Stand, with an overhead boom for the UK Broncolor division. Plus a very expensive Theatrical Spotlight hacked to hold another 606 head. It also had a seperate cooling fan with AC plug to keep the unit cool. Plus lots of parts and doodads, snapped it all up for $600 BTW 12,000 ws in one pop is like one hundred and twenty Vivitar 283s all popping at once. Pity the poor professional models who had to look into these. Been there and done that

Larry at Broncolor Service asked me if I had any idea present value money would price these 606 packs at? He floored me, over $100,000 each, and there is always one of these "back in the corner" of the old commercial studios. Larry called the 606's "The Iron Horse" which just keeps going and going and going. I had dual 220V inputs installed in the studio and yes I had these fired up for a while. Great big strobes WOW it makes a pop when two of these go off at once. I had a lot of help from knowledgable others to fairly safely done this back at the time.

This 606 head is mounted on a vintage FOBA multiple light stand made from old FOBA Combitubes.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 8-Sep-2021 at 07:37.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Broncolor Pulso 606 6000ws head 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Fifteen years ago I walked into Midwest Photo on High Street on a Saturday, and they had: two Broncolor 606 220V power packs 6000ws each. And four Pulso 606 heads that can each handle 6000ws. Here is one of them. And a 6000ws Pulso Hazylight head, complete with diffuser and grid screen as well. Hazylight was mounted on a crane-like Matthews Tripod Rolling Stand, with an overhead boom for the UK Broncolor division. Plus a very expensive Theatrical Spotlight hacked to hold another 606 head. It also had a seperate cooling fan with AC plug to keep the unit cool. Plus lots of parts and doodads, snapped it all up for $600 BTW 12,000 ws in one pop is like one hundred and twenty Vivitar 283s all popping at once. Pity the poor professional models who had to look into these.

Larry at Broncolor Service asked me if I had any idea present value money would price these at? Over $100,000 each and there is always one of these "back in the corner" of the old commercial studios. Larry called the 606's "The Iron Horse" which just keeps going and going and going. I had dual 220V inputs installed in the studio and yes I had these fired up for a while. Great big strobes WOW it makes a pop when two of these go off at once. I had a lot of help from knowledgable others to fairly safely done this back at the time.

This 606 head is mounted on a vintage FOBA multiple light stand made from old FOBA Combitubes.
    Back in 76 when the 606 was introduced I was the Broncolor rep and shipped one to Rose Studio in NYC for them to test. When it arrived one of their assistants placed a ladder next to a head and climbed up to reposition it. While he was looking at it another assistant pushed the test button and all the power went off no more then a foot from his face! Somehow he managed to climb back down the ladder!

> !_!_!_! <

As some of us share memories of what studio strobe lighting was like back in the view camera film days.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post

When it arrived one of their assistants placed a ladder next to a head and climbed up to reposition it. While he was looking at it another assistant pushed the test button and all the power went off no more then a foot from his face! Somehow he managed to climb back down the ladder!

Broncolor Pulso Quad Head Never Used by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is a kinda rare Broncolor Pulso item these days, the old blue Pulso Quad Head. Never used in the original box. This will connect up to four blue Pulso 404 packs (1600ws 120V packs) allowing 6000 watt seconds in one pop.

To get this operational, I would need three more 404 packs, four flash tubes, and a modeling light. Which I very well may get some day.
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 8-Sep-2021 at 12:42.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Broncolor flash heads can be converted to Elinchrom by re-wiring the power connector.
    Elinchrom flash heads can be converted to Broncolor by re-wiring the power connector.

Bernice

Just think what O. Winston Link could have done with strobes like this!