Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prontor Shutter / Cable Release Socket

Prontor Shutter / Cable Release Socket

I have looked far back at previous postings on this forum about Prontor shutters and the difficulties many users have had with the plunger pressure necessary to fire the shutter with a cable release. But I haven't seen an answer to my problem. The person on this forum who has been recommended to me as THE go-to guy for Prontor shutters, and whose previous postings I've read, is Bob Salomon. I'd sure like to talk to him. (You there?)

I've noticed that the vertical column with a screw-in socket for a cable release (the red one, not the white one) moves up and down a little bit. Is this part of the design or is it anomalous to my shutter? I have also discovered that if I hold that column down with finger pressure, preventing it from moving up, when I plunge the cable release, there is no difficulty whatsoever in firing the shutter. Can someone — hello Bob Salomon! — shed some light on this for me? I'm about to resort to epoxy glue to keep that thing from moving.

Re: Prontor Shutter / Cable Release Socket

Are you talking about the Prontor Professional shutters?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Are you talking about the Prontor Professional shutters?
    Tes, indeed, Bob. Thanks you for replying — and so quickly.

YES, indeed, I meant. (typo)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimberoff View Post
    Tes, indeed, Bob. Thanks you for replying — and so quickly.
    Do you mean that the external mount is moving or that there is play from the internal mechanism? If the latter that should be normal. If the former the shutter needs repair.

There is a small screw behind the shutter that tightens the release socket, see photo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00263_1_LI.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	219155
    Jim

Thank you Bob and apical84 for your replies. As for Bob's, I'm not clear about "external mount" versus "internal mechanism." The shutter works fine, and I've made accurately exposed pictures with it. However, regarding the small screw behind the shutter that tightens the release socket — ah ha! Well, sort of. The screw was in tight but the column still moved up and down, just a bit but enough, apparently, to keep the cable release from plunging all the way down consistently.

I removed the screw. It seems too short. I can't imagine why anyone would have replaced it in the past; although I did buy this shutter used. (It's clean as a whistle and the speeds are accurate.) But here's the thing: If I insert a very thin screwdriver into the hole and apply slight pressure against the — I assume it's the moveable — column, it doesn't move at all. So I'm thinking a longer screw will fix the problem.

Any other thoughts, folks? BTW, it's very kind —wonderful really — of you to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimberoff View Post
    Thank you Bob and apical84 for your replies. As for Bob's, I'm not clear about "external mount" versus "internal mechanism." The shutter works fine, and I've made accurately exposed pictures with it. However, regarding the small screw behind the shutter that tightens the release socket — ah ha! Well, sort of. The screw was in tight but the column still moved up and down, just a bit but enough, apparently, to keep the cable release from plunging all the way down consistently.

I removed the screw. It seems too short. I can't imagine why anyone would have replaced it in the past; although I did buy this shutter used. (It's clean as a whistle and the speeds are accurate.) But here's the thing: If I insert a very thin screwdriver into the hole and apply slight pressure against the — I assume it's the moveable — column, it doesn't move at all. So I'm thinking a longer screw will fix the problem.

Any other thoughts, folks? BTW, it's very kind —wonderful really — of you to help.
    I’m still confused. Are you saying the entire post has play?

Yes, the entire (albeit short) post had play in it. However, aphcl84's post hit the nail on the head — or screw, as the case may be. And that screw, for whatever reason, was about 1/16mm too short to make purchase, as a set screw, to hold the column in place. So, I did something radical and risky. I'm loathe to even tell you, except for the fact that it worked. Now any cable release easily plunges and fires the shutter. Here's what I did. Have a stiff drink before reading further.

I nipped of about a 1/16mm — I mean tiny — nib from a paper clip and inserted it into the screw socket, to act as a spacer. Voila! (I know, I know.)

The post I was referring to, btw, is the one with the red band around the top.