Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY 4x5 Point and Shoot

Re: DIY 4x5 Point and Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Street photography is done with
    a camera and a street. all the other condescending, insulting nonsense about how you're supposed to focus and what focal length is appropriate and who you can or can't photograph with or without permission is entirely a matter of personal preference. use whatever equipment and techniques work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    entirely a matter of personal preference. use whatever equipment and techniques work for you.
    Which is precisely what I said to him: "Hey, if you think that that approach to street photography will work for you, go for it."

What's your problem?

I expressed a personal view, based on my own experience. I talked about Bruce Davidson's approach because he's a highly credible practitioner who has spoken on a number of occasions about how he works. If one knows the conditions in the NY City Subway when Davidson made his Subway portfolio, one needn't even read what he said about his working method to figure out that he had consent. It's either that or he was crazy. If you don't believe me, read what Davidson has said about the safety of his camera gear on that project, let alone his personal safety.

The same can be said for Brooklyn Gang. Does anybody seriously think that Davidson was photographing urban gang members without their consent? Surely it's obvious that he needed the engagement of the gang just to get the project off the ground. I mentioned East 100th Street because it was a 4x5 project, and Davidson has talked about why he chose to use his camera on a tripod. I think that would-be street photographers can learn a lot from his reasons, even if they choose to go down a different path.

Davidson is by no means alone in this. It's obvious, just from looking at the images and considering the circumstances under which they must have been taken, that Robert Frank had consent for at least some of his most famous photographs. How do I know that? Well, you don't just barge into a funeral and stick a camera into people's faces. Or is that also just a matter of "personal preference"?

Interestingly, the New York City camera store that is probably the most historically important in the city is holding a seminar next week on street photography. The description of what the seminar will cover ends with "and importantly street photography etiquette". Gee, I wonder what that might be. One thing's for sure. It doesn't mean (from post #14) "I will not stand down especially when I'm exercising my constitutional rights. (Oh, and I have been confronted by an angry person taking umbrage with my photography....to put it plainly... they scurried away after I stood my ground.)"

I expressed a view, knowing full well that it runs counter to what one tends to read on Internet forums. The attitude shown in the above quote is remarkably common. Never mind that in a lot of urban areas it's an invitation to get roughed up, with your 4x5 camera on the ground in pieces.

Sorry, I didn't know that talking about another approach, using a street photographer as important as Bruce Davidson as an example - an old adage about flies, vinegar and honey comes to mind - constitutes "condescending, insulting nonsense".

Do try to wake up on the right side of bed tomorrow.
    Last edited by r.e.; 4-Sep-2021 at 14:41.

Seeing people on the street now (after last years lockdown), is a welcome sight...

See, and be seen... ;-)

Steve K

Shooting people on the street is not my bag, but if someone is walking into my shot, I will fire when they reach the exact right point...

The worst thing I heard of is photo stalkers in the Tokyo subways that will stalk someone, get them into a corner, and "attack" them with a motor drive & multiple flash pops just to see their expressions of terror... That's really bad!!!

Steve K

Shot this the other day at a local ship festival.... my scanner is in need of calibration.... too much red saturation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2021-09-03-Saltys.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by trog View Post
    Shot this the other day at a local ship festival.... my scanner is in need of calibration.... too much red saturation.
    Hi trog,

Let me guess. Richmond Maritime Festival, held two weekends ago at Britannia Shipyard Park. Close?

I would characterise that as urban landscape. If that's what you mean by street photography, we're using terminology differently and nothing that I've said is relevant.

The way that I use the term, I'd be a lot closer, and I'd be chatting with the Salty's staff and offering them a digital file for their Instagram and Facebook accounts, with the objective of getting them to roll up that awning and co-operate in a photo. Not better or worse, just different in terms of subject.

The screen capture below is what they put on Instagram that weekend (Lobster and Grilled Cheese). Interesting, given British Columbia's local seafood, that there's a market for lobster brought in from Nova Scotia.

Cheers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 6.11.57 PM.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	219321

A few more of village life:

Name:	Full-Service.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	219322

Name:	Village-Lifer.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	219323

Name:	Village-Bread-SHop.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	219324

Hi Trog, I would like to feed my point of view into this thread without sounding condescending or hectoring, rather from my perspective of years and professional experience. I have a few 'sayings' to keep my feet on the ground. 'All different, all equal' 'Less is more', and 'I see you'. A photographer whose work I hugely admire is Joseph Koudelka who could not have taken his Romany people photographs without their consent. On the other hand a people photograph that took the world by storm, 'Man standing in front of a tank in Tianamen Sq' was shot with a long lens and the subject knew nothing about it.
    Reportage is the word that best describes Story Telling photography. Be it fashion, people, cars, food, etc, etc, anything in situ, on location, shot on any format. It's not the medium, it's the message thats important.
    Keep shooting, stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by trog View Post
    I like your design choices. After a few field shoots with my camera, I'm leaning towards another build focused on a wider angle lens. I had hoped that my DIY would be a good choice for street photography. I had antipated that the 120mm would allow me to capture reasonable shots at a distance without influencing the subjects.

However I'm finding that the camera (being rather unusual) is still attracting unwanted attention.

And without a helicoid, my best shots have been realized at f/16 (DOF 9M-inf) ... which on a sunny day calls for a shutter speed of 1/60. A challenge for hand held shooting. Moving to f/8 isn't as desirable as near field focus moves up to 15-meters.

Of course a helicoid solves all these issues, at the expense of a marginally larger camera.

Perhaps I should adjust my lens position to its hyperfocal position? Does anyone know what spacing is required to achieve hyperfocal at say f/8? Or can this location only be accurately determined via testing?
    Have you thought about using a monopad?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Have you thought about using a monopad?
    Hello Hugo,

Given how light this camera is, I can get away with a pretty light carbon-fiber tripod.