Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

Hi,
    Just wondering if I can add two Cambo rails together to get a longer rail? Or is it a matter of buying them separately for the length you are after? I have one that is about 30cm at the moment but am looking to get to about 60cms

Thanks!

Re: Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

Used two rail holders on a thick plate in order to pack shorter. Too much length and you will need a rail stability Manfrotto long lens support.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Oslolens' suggestion is the usual and Cambo makes brackets (C-278 monorail connector) to do just that.

But there's a potentially less expensive way to get a 60 cm rail. 1" x 1" 80/20 brand t-slotted aluminum extrusion works very well with Cambo SC tripod mounting blocks and is available very inexpensively, in lengths up to 96", from 80/20 surplus sales. They sell on amazon.com.

I'm with Dan, I've bought 1x alu squares from the big box stores and worked fine. (when I used to have a Combo)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Oslolens' suggestion is the usual and Cambo makes brackets (C-278 monorail connector) to do just that.

But there's a potentially less expensive way to get a 60 cm rail. 1" x 1" 80/20 brand t-slotted aluminum extrusion works very well with Cambo SC tripod mounting blocks and is available very inexpensively, in lengths up to 96", from 80/20 surplus sales. They sell on amazon.com.
    Amazing! Thanks so much for the response, greatly appreciated!

This is for a bit of a DIY camera project and am wondering if there is an attachment to this, that could somehow have an Arca Swiss style plate attached to it? I need to be able to place a digital camera on it (with L-Bracket attached). I could use the Cambo attachment that connects to the tripod but that seems way too precarious.

Would something like this work? Is it the right size?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-V-Chan...-/133159167826

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Would something like this work? Is it the right size?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2020-V-Chan...-/133159167826
    I have no idea whether it will do what you want, but then, I don't quite understand what you want to accomplish. If you want to use a Cambo SC to add extension to a digicam, why not hang the digicam on the back of the Cambo?

Hi,
    Just to confirm that the section that you are talking about is actually 1 inch by 1 inch (2.54cms x 2.54cms)? I see a lot of pieces that come in the measurements of 20mm x 20mm but this is probably too small for the original Cambo rail to fit on right?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Hi,
    Just to confirm that the section that you are talking about is actually 1 inch by 1 inch (2.54cms x 2.54cms)? I see a lot of pieces that come in the measurements of 20mm x 20mm but this is probably too small for the original Cambo rail to fit on right?

Thanks again, much appreciated!
    I'll say it again. 80/20 brand size 1010. https://www.amazon.com/80-20-Inc-T-S...01F0F10I&psc=1

I'll say it again. 80/20 brand size 1010. https://www.amazon.com/80-20-Inc-T-S...01F0F10I&psc=1
    Good One...

So I just received my 80/20 rail and tried to put my Cambo SC rails on it but absolutely no joy

I did a close inspection of the original rail and the top surface is smooth whereas the one I received has slight indents running through...

I rang 80/20 Australia and he said that they have two types of rail but the "smooth" one is only distributed in the U.S...

Do you imagine that is enough for the Cambo standard to be able to go on but then not be able to be moved freely? At closer inspection, the original Cambo rail does not look 100% square whilst the 80/20 rail looks exactly square... Could this be it?

Thanks!

Just thought I would update, in case anybody was looking to do the same...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0064.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	219598