Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

Re: Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    wpv, I really hesitate to ask because I don't want to insult you, but I see that you got your standard on a piece of 80/20 1010 extrusion. So your problem must be that turning the rail rider's "focus" knob doesn't move the standard. Does it work properly on your Cambo rail? Are you mistakenly turning the "lock" knob?
    I don't have a Cambo SC anymore and I can't tell you how many times I've done this myself! I have a million "duh!" moments with camera equipment.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    wpv, I really hesitate to ask because I don't want to insult you, but I see that you got your standard on a piece of 80/20 1010 extrusion. So your problem must be that turning the rail rider's "focus" knob doesn't move the standard. Does it work properly on your Cambo rail? Are you mistakenly turning the "lock" knob?
    Hi Dan, no chance of insulting me and I appreciate the help....

Unfortunately, that is not the problem. The front standard moves fine on the original Cambo rail, with the focus knob

Ha Ha! I wish that was the issue!

Also, I can just cram it onto the 80/20 extrusion rail. It is tight! Once on, the focus rail does nothing...

Am off to pick up a small section of "smooth" 1" x 1" from a hardware supply store and see if I have any luck with that. At least I can return it if it does not work.

Thanks again!

So have just returned from the hardware store with a generic 1" x 1" x 1.2mm aluminium "smooth" extrusion and this does not fit either. This actually visually looks bigger and I cannot even get the Cambo front standard to fit into it.

So, yup, am at a bit of a loss to be honest.

Visually, the 80/20 looks just slightly bigger and the generic one from the hardware store looks quite a bit bigger.

Dan, your 80/20 rail is definitely not the "smooth" version? Once again, that is all I can think of at this stage.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Photo of the railsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	rails.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	219651

I am totally STUMPED! What's the slang for that where you are?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I am totally STUMPED! What's the slang for that where you are?
    Ha Ha!! I don't know what the Aussie slang is for this particular situation!

My version is, "it has got me totally fu*#ed"! At least, that is how I am feeling about this whole rail scenario...

There is no chance that both you and Dan could be talking about the smaller 20mm x 20mm rail right?

https://www.makerstore.com.au/produc...lot-20-x-20mm/

That is going to be too skinny I assume?

So seeing as I am not having any luck with this setup, how do you go about joining dedicated Cambo rails for longer extension? Any idea?

I just measured. Mitutoyo dial caliper calibrated in inches. 1x1, possibly a hair smaller. Did the same with no-name dial caliper in mm. 25.35 or so x 25.40 or so.

You can see such a rail in use in http://www.galerie-photo.com/baby-bertha-6x9-en.html. I think that's the one I just measured.

We can see the 8020 rail is bigger. As this is aluminium you should be able to file it down enough to work in an hour or two. Equally many strokes on each side, undamaged file and some good music

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Australia has Metric '25' and 1" almost same same but not

https://catalogs.8020.net/80-20-Inc-...ity-Booklet/4/

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Ha Ha!! I don't know what the Aussie slang is for this particular situation!

My version is, "it has got me totally fu*#ed"! At least, that is how I am feeling about this whole rail scenario...

There is no chance that both you and Dan could be talking about the smaller 20mm x 20mm rail right?

https://www.makerstore.com.au/produc...lot-20-x-20mm/

That is going to be too skinny I assume?

So seeing as I am not having any luck with this setup, how do you go about joining dedicated Cambo rails for longer extension? Any idea?

I definitely had the Cambo SC at one time, and I remember getting the 1" square tubing at the home goods store. I used my 300mm ektar on it. Maybe just for fun, can you take a photo of the "inside" of the piece that has the round knobs? Maybe it is slightly bent? I don't know now, now I'm just blowing out of my a** and looking for any more clues.

1" is usually 25.4, I'm a cyclist so old bikes are 1" tubes and handlebars and they are always 25.4 measurement when you buy things like stems.

Maybe, maybe...maybe, that is NOT a Cambo SC rail you have (original) but something else, and the previous owner used it enough times to make the clamp portion slightly smaller? So the real size you put it on, it doesn't fit anymore? Maybe it's not the rails, but the piece that the rails goes into?
    --