Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most affordable copy stand with geared height adjustment? (Rack and pinion?)

Drew Wiley

Re: Most affordable copy stand with geared height adjustment? (Rack and pinion?)

Try to find a Durst 138 floor standing chassis with baseboard, minus any enlarging or negative stage, bellows etc - something they want to get rid of cheap because it's incomplete. They do turn up in this manner sometimes. It's easy to convert them into a truly deluxe copystand. You'd still need lights.

Re: Most affordable copy stand with geared height adjustment? (Rack and pinion?)

Thanks for all the ideas!

Just a little more info on what I'm doing:

I'll be using this rig to digitize my film. I'll be building a rig for the baseboard that will allow me to very precisely shift the film on X and Y axes for the capture of multiple images that will be stitched together. Being able to set my lens to a specific magnification then focus by moving the camera up and down will allow to calculate exactly how far I need to shift the film in each direction between exposures to allow for necessary overlap and get as close as possible to a clean and straight grid of images, making the stitching software's job a little easier (in theory).

We have many threads about that
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    We have many threads about that
    I'm aware. Not really looking for advice on the stitching/digitizing. Just thought I'd mention it so that people know I don't need lights like a traditional copy stand.

Drew Wiley

You do need a high quality light box under it, especially if it involves any color imagery. There are lots of past threads on that subject too. For a boatload of XY positioning options, go to the Edmund Scientific Industrial Optics catalog (not the amateur website).

Linhof copy stand... OK the current Linhof Technopro II Copy Stand goes for $5,454.95.

But I am talking about the older Universal Accessory Stand (correct nomenclature Bob?) that has the same round geared column as a Linhof Heavy Duty Tripod. Check out State and Government Surplus stores. Got mine years ago for around $25.00 with half of a bracket that attached it to a wall (fortunately the part that attaches to the column). Was definitely used but not abused. Next to it was a Linhof vacuum frame, but it was priced over $100.00, so passed up on it. I have seen two on eBay over the years for little money, but the caveat was always no shipping... for pick up only. One was a 10+ hour round trip away. If I had not already had mine, I would have definitely made the round trip to pick it up. I have used my stand my 8x10 Norma with 100% stability.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Linhof copy stand... OK the current Linhof Technopro II Copy Stand goes for $5,454.95.

But I am talking about the older Universal Accessory Stand (correct nomenclature Bob?) that has the same round geared column as a Linhof Heavy Duty Tripod. Check out State and Government Surplus stores. Got mine years ago for around $25.00 with half of a bracket that attached it to a wall (fortunately the part that attaches to the column). Was definitely used but not abused. Next to it was a Linhof vacuum frame, but it was priced over $100.00, so passed up on it. I have seen two on eBay over the years for little money, but the caveat was always no shipping... for pick up only. One was a 10+ hour round trip away. If I had not already had mine, I would have definitely made the round trip to pick it up. I have used my stand my 8x10 Norma with 100% stability.
    We were the USA distributor for several decades for bot LInhof and Kaiser. Kaiser made better, and less expensive, stands for the pro market as well as a complete selection of tungsten, halogen, fluorescent, strobe and LED lighting.
    LInhof only offered tungsten lamps.
    In addition Kaiser also offered polarizers for their lights as well as a wide assortment of camera arms.

Do not get the cheap Kaiser. That is a tweaky pos where the camera attaches to the stand. I'm looking at the Beseler because of my dissatisfaction with Kaiser and at $250, the Kaiser wasn't that cheap. But I guess you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    Do not get the cheap Kaiser. That is a tweaky pos where the camera attaches to the stand. I'm looking at the Beseler because of my dissatisfaction with Kaiser and at $250, the Kaiser wasn't that cheap. But I guess you get what you pay for.
    It all depends on which Kaiser you bought and which camera arm you had.

I just started using an iPad 5 on "Copy camera adapter for Leitz Valoy II stand. This is a Glennview product."

A few adapters needed

I had one, it works well

I suggest you study Glennview online
    Tin Can