Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What padded case would fit an Ebony 8x10?

What padded case would fit an Ebony 8x10?

Hi all,

I have an Ebony 8x10 and since I bought it, I used a padded camera wrap. I find it very cumbersome to pack it and unpack it in the field specially when it’s full of dried tall grass. Can anyone recommend a padded case I could use? I measured the camera at 13x14x4.75”. It’s not like I haven’t tried, I bought a couple padded cases of Amazon that had those dimensions but the corners were so rounded, the camera would simply not fit because of the interference. Any suggestions are appreciated but I’m looking for something under 100$ if possible.
    Thanks in advance
    Parallel parking extraordinaire

Re: What padded case would fit an Ebony 8x10?

You might look at various mixer/light cases, e.g. this one from Gator Cases:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ent.html/specs

IIRC, Lightware makes similar cases, if a bit spendier.

Yes, many variations

I don't have an Ebony

I bought that exact bag 2016, BH tells me
    Tin Can

If you don’t find anything in your under a hundred dollar price range you might check out Stone Photo Gear. Maybe a Deardorff or Chamonix case would work otherwise Daniel will do custom orders. https://www.stonephotogear.com/cases

Roger

Drew Wiley

I mainly use my external frame backpack with fomebaord (Gator) dividers and simple bubble packing - very fast to work out of. But as a smaller alternate, I also have a basic shoulder bag kinda resembling an overly thick laptop bag. No need for some expensive camera dedicated thing. I had all kinds of these bags - Cordura, even leather, given to me. It's amazing just how cheaply these can be made, yet how great the markup is once they're marketed for dedicated photographic applications. Again, I just adapted a basic cordura example with some fomeboard and casual cushioning. Sponge rubber is unnecessarily heavy, and eventually degrades anyway. One word of caution, however - it's never a good idea to have too good a looking bag or case, or something that outright looks like a laptop carrier. That's just tempting thieves; and an Ebony 8x10 would be way more difficult and expensive to replace than any laptop computer.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I didn't know about Gator products but I'll take a look at that. It looks like the Tenba modular system (which I was really hoping would be my answer but alas they don't make any cases that large, far as I could find). I tried contacting Dan over at stonephotogear two times already but he's likely too busy and my email got buried. Either that or a case that would only fit the Ebony is too low of a priority. Either way, I understand he's a busy man so I'm not pushing it. He makes fantastic stuff and pretty much all my gear is sleeved/cased/wrapped by him.
    Great idea with leather, maybe I can find someone on Etsy who works with leather. Though I do like to DIY so we'll see which direction this goes. Plus if I make it myself, there's no way any sound minded thief would touch it
    Parallel parking extraordinaire

Drew Wiley

For special serious sew-ups, especially in Cordura, I have used a local shop that caters to expeditions, and not only does things like tent, pack, and sleeping bag repairs, but will make custom packs of any kind. Huge fabric selection in stock, once even the special thick black Goretex roll that was used for my darkcloths. There must be someone providing a similar service in the New England area. I dunno. Even an outdoor outlet like REI might offer something adaptable. There are also custom pack makers that cater to hunters, but those might be over-budget for you.

Real leather just sound toooo theftable to me, unless you make it look old and funky. My brother sure learned the hard way not to carry his camera equipment around in fancy silver Halliburton cases.

I used a Lowepro Super Trekker AW II backpack to haul my Ebony 8x10 around. This backpack has been discontinued for years but decent samples pop up on the forums and auction sites from time to time. It is heavy by today's standards and a bit of tight fit for the camera, but it worked, with plenty of room for lenses and accessories. The shoulder harness and belt were reasonably comfortable.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ker_AW_II.html

II do not backpack around, but:

My 8x10 Kodak 2D lives inside a mid-1980s vintage LowePro Trekker Aw. I don't know the exact model. It seems well enough padded./ I have had it up in the overhead airliner compartment and once in the hold with that camera. I keep the backpacking harness stowed in its compartment and tote it around with a clip-on shoulder strap.

The 2D is, I think, pretty near the same size.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Go to WalMart or similar and look at fishing and food carrying boxes. You might find something that is just right. Have had luck that way for film holders, cameras and a lot of lenses.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.