Thread: Kodalith 2556 Type 3 4x5

Kodalith 2556 Type 3 4x5

Long time lurker, couple of times poster coming for some help with Kodalith 2556 Type 3.

I've recently bought a box of it for a very good price as I wanted to play around with it because of its high contrast. However, I've hit a wall with trying to find information on ISO and development and some of the info I've found is 10+ years old, which means that Technidol is no longer available.

From what I gather, when developed in regular film developers, Kodalith is about ISO 2-3 and should be agitated constantly, although the last part I will take as very much a matter of preference. I can't remember the times but I know it was very odd times.

However, my research has led me to believe that it can be developed in MG paper developer and even in lith developer. If I read correctly, developing in lith developer increases speed to ISO 25 (?). But that is the extent of the info I've found on developing in lith developer, nothing on times or methods.

This last option appeals as I can access Moersh lith developers and it would allow me to shoot in drab British weather...once I figure out reciprocity.

Has anyone got recent(-ish) experience of shooting and developing Kodalith? Anyone can shed any light on what is the best way to get the contrast its known for but perhaps increase speed a little?

Re: Kodalith 2556 Type 3 4x5

I shot some back in the day, developed in Dektol 1:3, but development time escapes me.
    Maybe the Massive Development Chart online can give you a starting point....

It is several decades since I used Kodalith 4 x 5 so.... I used it in camera and for masking when making composite images. Processed in a lith developer the aim is to get a non tonal image which is just a black and clear neg. Processing is quite precise as lith developers are contagious so if the film is left in the dev long enough the whole sheet will become black. From memory 2 mins is good. Because of this I do not think you can push the speed at all. It is a process film designed for the making of halftone screens which are machine developed.
    Having said that I also processed it in paper developers ( which it was never intended for ) and this greatly increased the film speed. It also hugely altered the tonality. I am assuming the film you specify is Orthochromatic so you have the benefit of being able to watch development in either developer. As I always used the film in the studio, with constant light sources and then straightaway processed it the speed was over time 'understood', and I could reshoot if needed. This doesn't help you but I think your guesses are a good place to start.
    I would add that the film surface is sensitive to touch, so another assumption, you will dish dev it and may be using tongs?
    One last thought. Kodak lith film was made as Ortho and Panchromatic. Before much of my advice is relevant you need to know what you have.

About 7 years ago resurrected some unopened boxers of 8x10 Kodalith 2566 with expiration dates of 1982 on them. Instead of throwing them out I ran a few test negatives in Rodinal and eventually got some great negatives. Looked at my darkroom notes from back then and 10 and 15 minutes were listed as the processing times. Also noted was "continuous agitation". I was tray processing the film. I noted a final ASA of 5. Also I listed Rodinal dilutions of both 1:25 and 1:100. My memory favors the 1:100 dilution. I do remember that processing by inspection was quite easy to do under a red safelight. Hope that is a starting point for you

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Biondo View Post
    Long time lurker, couple of times poster coming for some help with Kodalith 2556 Type 3.

I've recently bought a box of it for a very good price as I wanted to play around with it because of its high contrast. However, I've hit a wall with trying to find information on ISO and development and some of the info I've found is 10+ years old, which means that Technidol is no longer available.

From what I gather, when developed in regular film developers, Kodalith is about ISO 2-3 and should be agitated constantly, although the last part I will take as very much a matter of preference. I can't remember the times but I know it was very odd times.

However, my research has led me to believe that it can be developed in MG paper developer and even in lith developer. If I read correctly, developing in lith developer increases speed to ISO 25 (?). But that is the extent of the info I've found on developing in lith developer, nothing on times or methods.

This last option appeals as I can access Moersh lith developers and it would allow me to shoot in drab British weather...once I figure out reciprocity.

Has anyone got recent(-ish) experience of shooting and developing Kodalith? Anyone can shed any light on what is the best way to get the contrast its known for but perhaps increase speed a little?
    DO NOT USE DILUTED PAPER DEVELOPER!
    This was a common mistake. Paper developers are by design, more vigorous than are film developers.
    Start with a film speed of 3-6. Use your favorite developer, but dilute it significantly. For instance, if you use D-76 1+1, tryit at 1+7 or 1+10. If you use HC110 b, dilute the syrup 1+100.
    Develop by inspection under a red safe light until the shadow detail begins to be detectable from the reverse side.
    It will take you a few tries to get it the way you want it, but persevere, it will work.

Thank you all for the responses, definitely giving me more of an idea of where to take it.

@Besom
    I believe I have the orthochromatic variation of it. Information is thin on the ground on Kodalith in general but my research suggests that. So will keep in mind a 2 minute development if I go for lith developers.

@greg
    Yours may have been one of the posts I saw and that provided some of the information about development in Rodinal. It does seem that the info on Rodinal suggests a higher dilution and a long-ish development time. I'm planning on buying some Rodinal for something else so will give a sheet a try.

@Jim Noel
    Good to know about the stronger dilution. My two main developers are Adox FX-39II and Ilfotec HC. Not sure I'd use FX-39II but might try Ilfotec HC at a high dilution.

The good thing is that I have 30 or so sheets of it and given the very peculiar nature of Kodalith, not sure I would need the full 30 sheets. I'm building a home darkroom too so I'll definitely have the ability to tray develop. I did figure that would probably be the safest bet, not the least as I hear it is very thin so wouldn't want to risk it in the Stearman tank.

You can process under safelight until highlight area turns dark grey/black...

Steve K

This book was a source of inspiration to me in developing ideas of what could be done with lith film. Some of which I did USING PAPER DEVELOPER but you do as you wish. Experimenting is huge funClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8104.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	219217Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8105.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	219218Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8106.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	219219