Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just "killed" an old habit today!!

I just "killed" an old habit today!!

I've been processing film since early 80's, and I did it for a living in NYC back in late 80's early 90's using baskets, 18 rolls of 120's, countless number of 35mm in those tanks, "inspection", jobo...man I processed more film there that I've done on my own stuff. Back then, and even now, I stood doing these. My boss even made a nice platform me to stand on, it was nice and cushiony

Today, I'm testing out long dev times in my kitchen. And it dawned on me "why don't you sit down for these 20 minute long dev times YOU IDIOT".

And I realized, all these years, I've always stood up processing film. How did I go so long without sitting down????
    --

Re: I just "killed" an old habit today!!

LOL

I always have a stool, that stores under the Arkay sink

I worked on my feet all my life

I make it a sit down job whenever possible

I also use milkcrates for low down and high reach
    Tin Can

I sit on my <censored> all day long for work, I actually treasure stand up time.

(its also one of the big reasons I moved back to film--8-12 hours a day in front of a computer sucks any joy from other things that use a computer.)

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I sit on my <censored> all day long for work, I actually treasure stand up time.

(its also one of the big reasons I moved back to film--8-12 hours a day in front of a computer sucks any joy from other things that use a computer.)
    I TOTALLY agree with this statement. I'm same way. I miss the tactile feel of real prints. I still need to scan my negs though. I just ordered Kallitype and Platinum chems. Did kallitype a while ago, but now, kids are out and I have the time. Thinking of taking that workshop at Bostick for PT.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Thinking of taking that workshop at Bostick for PT.
    I dream of retirement when I can spend time on interesting things. I live in the same state as Bostick, so I'd love to spend some time up there on some of their workshops.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I've been processing film since early 80's, and I did it for a living in NYC back in late 80's early 90's using baskets, 18 rolls of 120's, countless number of 35mm in those tanks, "inspection", jobo...man I processed more film there that I've done on my own stuff. Back then, and even now, I stood doing these. My boss even made a nice platform me to stand on, it was nice and cushiony

Today, I'm testing out long dev times in my kitchen. And it dawned on me "why don't you sit down for these 20 minute long dev times YOU IDIOT".

And I realized, all these years, I've always stood up processing film. How did I go so long without sitting down????
    It is better for your body if you are standing. Sitting kills an awful lot of senior citizens, and I suppose, younger ones. I am 92 and have never sat in the darkroom as a matter of practice.

For some reason, when loading, unloading film holders, developing reels...I always close my eyes.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    For some reason, when loading, unloading film holders, developing reels...I always close my eyes.
    Yes! What's even funnier is I can't load holders or developing reels unless I take my glasses off! If I try, my eyes keep trying to see in the dark.

It is good to split your work between standing and sitting with a little moving around now and then. After many decades it has become obvious that, since my but is much larger than my feet, I should mostly work sitting down.

In recent years I’ve had to bring a padded and wheeled shop stool into my DR because a bit of sciatica has set in. However, I do alternate spending time on my feet and sitting, and while standing sometimes do specific stretching movements taught to me by my physical therapist.
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo